Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Getting rehomed piggies that eat pellets only

tleray

Cavy Slave
I'm adopting a pair of guinea pigs for my daughter for xmas. They are 4 months old and male. The girl we are adopting them from said she gives them pellets and as a snack kale, cucumbers, carrots and celery. We are brand new to guinea pigs but I already bought timothy hay and the pellets but not sure how to work in the people food. We are getting them this friday and I didn't know if I needed to slowly introduce other types of food? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd keep feeding the pellets and add in the hay. Limit the snacks until they get used to eating hay, then you can add them back in and start feeding veggies on a regular basis. Hay is THE most important thing in their diets -- it's what keeps their teeth ground to the proper length and their GI tracts moving normally.

You'll have an easier time with the hay if you make sure it's fresh and green. If you can't find a local farmer, your best bet is to order online. Hay packaged in cellophane bags at places like pet stores and Walmart is usually dry, dusty, and not very appealing to the pigs. Good online sources are American Pet Diner, Small Pet Select, KMS Hayloft, and I believe you can get Oxbow shipped to a pet or feed store near you. Timothy is the recommended hay. G

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.