Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chewing Guinea pig is eating weird. Potential dental issue?

faculae.angel

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig Bugsby ate completely fine early today and a little bit ago I gave them their pellets. He always goes straight to his pellets and eats but this time he didn’t really want to. I was immediately concerned and went and got them dinner. He always eats his vegetables. I brought it up to him and he didn’t really seem to want it. After a little bit he went and tried to eat his pellets. He was acting like he was having a hard time eating and kept pawing at his mouth and slightly tilting his head to the right.

i took him out of his cage and checked his teeth but I didn’t see any problems so I can only assume it’s the teeth we can’t see?

he started to eat part of his pepper, but he was taking really small bites then he stopped and started eating his lettuce. He seems to be eating normally now but I think it’s because the lettuce is soft.

Is there anyways I can check his molars I believe they are called? He doesn’t put up a fight or anything when I open his mouth and check his teeth. Do I have to like open his cheek more (side ways, not vertically opening his mouth more) to see them? And if I managed to look at them what exactly would I be looking for?

Because I don’t really have the money right now to drive him over half an hour to the only vet that takes in small animals and pay a ton of money just to find out he’ll be fine.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can't adequately check his back teeth. His mouth needs to be propped open, and he also needs x-rays to look for elongated tooth roots or abscessed teeth.

Tooth problems won't heal themselves. The quicker they're treated, the easier the recovery, and the less likely that any interruption in his eating will set off digestive problems.

faculae.angel

Cavy Slave
You can't adequately check his back teeth. His mouth needs to be propped open, and he also needs x-rays to look for elongated tooth roots or abscessed teeth.

Tooth problems won't heal themselves. The quicker they're treated, the easier the recovery, and the less likely that any interruption in his eating will set off digestive problems.

i figured it wouldn’t really be possible to look at the teeth.

he just finished his vegetables and I heard him eating his pellets so I went to look and he appears to be eating perfectly normal now?? He’s not wiping at his face or tilting his head.

Do you think there still might be something wrong or could he have just had something stuck in his teeth maybe?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He could have had something stuck in his teeth.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.