Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet What lettuce is safe for now?! Lettuce recall help

Nugandpip

Cavy Slave
As many of you probably know, there has been a lettuce recall in the US, which has caused me not to be able to get the lettuce I normally feed my piggies. They normally get a mix of red leaf lettuce, green leaf, and romaine (occasionally for my others bc one of my piggies is prone to stones, anyway...) lettuce. The grocery store has eliminated all three of these lettuces even though the recall was only on romaine, and I’m pretty sure that the reason is because these lettuces come from the same area.

So, I was wondering what kind of lettuce can I replace this with for a month or two? I know that it will probably be safe by then but I won’t be comfortable buying it for a while.

I can’t find anywhere online on what I can replace it with. If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated by myself and my piggies! They are so sad because they look forward to their lettuce so much! Ever since I couldn’t get lettuce I bring the rest of their veggies to them everyday , and they look so dissatisfied with the rest of their gourmet meal. XD
Anyway, thanks for any help!!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Radicchio and butter head are good. So is oak leaf.

Nugandpip

Cavy Slave
Thanks, bpatters, I will pick some up today :)

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Both spring mix and romaine are back on the shelves here in CT as of Friday! The "bad" romaine was from the Central Valley of CA.

What I have been doing is creating a "spring mix" of red and green leaf lettuce, chard, baby arugula, etc. I would suggest that rather than feeding radicchio which is $5.95 lb, feed them red cabbage which is generally $0.99 to 1.99 per pound. They don't love it quite so much, but soon get accustomed to it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.