Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Surgery incision opened

cranberrybaby

Cavy Slave
Hello!! My guinea pig Fergie had surgery a week ago to get a large abscess removed. The incision opened about a day ago. I sent pictures to my vet and she said if he is housed by himself he can be checked on friday. I’m just very worried because that’s who I am. He has been laying outside of his hideout which is something new for him. Should I be worried?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cranberrybaby

Cavy Slave
He is still eating and drinking normally

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I can't tell where on the pig that wound is. Can he scratch or bite it?

It's too late to have it resutured. You'll just have to watch it carefully to make sure no infection develops.

cranberrybaby

Cavy Slave
It’s right underneath of his chin. He can most likely scratch it. He seems to be doing alright and I have to give him antibiotics daily so I check it everyday.

cranberrybaby

Cavy Slave
Hello!! Is it okay for adult guinea pigs to eat young guinea pig food? I cant find an answer anywhere. I set out young food for the babies and the adults are eating it!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No. Food for pups has too much calcium in it for the adults, and can contribute to bladder stones. Pigs over six months old should not food for young pups.

Feed them all the same pellets for adult pigs, and take the pups out of the cage for a sprig or two of parsley every day.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.