Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Baby guinea pigs : want them to felel comfortable and make sure they eat hay and food

mcbean2006

Cavy Slave
Hi! We recently got to baby guinea pigs! Their names are Walter and Wellington ! They both are a little over 1 month old. Though I have had guinea pigs, the youngest has been 1 year, so I’m not used to babies. All the guinea pigs I’ve ever had warmed up to me very quickly, but the babies and really scared of me and won’t come out of the hut unless i leave them alone for 10 minutes. I know i have to be patient, but I’m looking for tips to make then comfortable in their new environment and with me.

I also want to make sure they are eating their hay and pellets. I have never seen them eat it, but they could have eaten while i was gone. Is there any tips for encouraging then to eat it? They are currently being fed baby oxbow pellets, a mix of Timothy and alfalfa hay, and 1/4 cup each of lettuce and carrots. Thanks.

Any other tips with baby pigs would be appreciated !

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Make sure their surroundings are "baby proofed" i.e have coroplast or some other barrier that they can't climb. C and C cages are great but the bottom 6" minimum must be covered from the inside with coroplast. They can get through those squares easily, and as they get older they could get stuck.

Try covering one end of their cage completely, to make them more comfortable and safe from the "house eagles". Their diet so far sounds fine.

The only other things are time and patience. It takes plenty of both.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.