Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Is my pig pregnant?

ciarafurtado

Cavy Gazer
I adopted a young sow (they said she was under two months) a bit over three weeks ago and this past week I’ve started to really notice her sides sticking out and her constantly visiting the water bottle. The people I got her from did not know what they were doing whatsoever and had her in the same cage as her two brothers so I knew there was a possibility of pregnancy. Can you tell based off of these pictures if she may be? If she is I will call the vet to double check I just don’t want to be paranoid and call them over nothing.

Attachments

F22A240C-29F7-4CB3-B822-EE5A6564AA69.jpg CF765517-4D86-42CC-9404-C4445DF5622D.jpg

rose24em

Cavy Gazer
If she was in the same cage with her brothers, I'd say she's definitely pregnant. It doesn't take much for guinea pigs to get pregnant. You can gently pick her up and feel for small grape size balls underneath her tummy, but be super careful. If you feel them, then she is for sure pregnant. Make sure she gets lots of veggies and when she gets bigger try not to pick her up so much :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
See https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...inea-pig-is-pregnant-And-how-far-along-is-she

There's really no need for a vet visit -- you wouldn't do anything different for her than for any other young pup except to make doubly sure she has a high-quality pellet (KMS Hayloft or Oxbow are the best), good quality hay, and fresh veggies. Given her young age, supplement her with some extra calcium by feeding her a sprig or two of parsley every day, and it wouldn't hurt to supplement her with some vitamin C.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.