Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Is my pig pregnant?

I adopted a young sow (they said she was under two months) a bit over three weeks ago and this past week Iíve started to really notice her sides sticking out and her constantly visiting the water bottle. The people I got her from did not know what they were doing whatsoever and had her in the same cage as her two brothers so I knew there was a possibility of pregnancy. Can you tell based off of these pictures if she may be? If she is I will call the vet to double check I just donít want to be paranoid and call them over nothing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F22A240C-29F7-4CB3-B822-EE5A6564AA69.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	138.2 KB 
ID:	85478   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CF765517-4D86-42CC-9404-C4445DF5622D.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	85479  

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Is my pig pregnant?

If she was in the same cage with her brothers, I'd say she's definitely pregnant. It doesn't take much for guinea pigs to get pregnant. You can gently pick her up and feel for small grape size balls underneath her tummy, but be super careful. If you feel them, then she is for sure pregnant. Make sure she gets lots of veggies and when she gets bigger try not to pick her up so much

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,194 Rec'd/5,729 Posts
    Mentioned
    2020 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3764 Post(s)

Re: Is my pig pregnant?

See https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...r-along-is-she

There's really no need for a vet visit -- you wouldn't do anything different for her than for any other young pup except to make doubly sure she has a high-quality pellet (KMS Hayloft or Oxbow are the best), good quality hay, and fresh veggies. Given her young age, supplement her with some extra calcium by feeding her a sprig or two of parsley every day, and it wouldn't hurt to supplement her with some vitamin C.

User Tag List