Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables Ecoli??

Frobbebbie

Cavy Slave
Hello! My piggies diet consists of many veggies, but particularly romaine lettuce. Recently theres been an ecoli outbreak and my piggies are always whining for lettuce, but I can’t take that risk! Is there something else i could use as a replacement? I want to give them something green daily but that lettuce is definitely on hold

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Red or green leaf lettuces are a better choice anyway. Romaine has been anecdotally linked to excess urinary calcium in some pigs, but not in others. It's just safer to avoid it.

Frobbebbie

Cavy Slave
Is there a specific brand i should look out for ? :0 I know that iceberg lettuce is definitely off of the table in terms of nutrition and possible diarrhea

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It doesn't come in brands that I know of. There are just piles of different kinds of lettuce at all the grocery stores I shop at.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Buy the red or green leaf lettuce as @bpatters suggested. All of us, boys and family alike, have really been missing our beloved spring mix.

Romaine should be back on the shelves before long. The govt. has found that the outbreak came from romaine in California's Central Valley and that produce from elsewhere isn't a problem. I think you will begin to see it in stores from companies who source their produce elsewhere.

bbxylee.m

Cavy Slave
To add to this, my pigs also usually eat romaine as our local stores dont carry red/green leaf. I have to travel a solid 40 minutes round trip just for some lettuce. Because of the outbreak and my small area, stocks are very low on green/red leaf. If there anything else that might not be in such high demand?

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
You can also feed escarole lettuce, chicory lettuce, boston or bibb lettuce. Although, they are typically more expensive and more difficult to find.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.