Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Does this seem right?

CrazedHoosier

Cavy Slave
Hello. So recently, I took one of my female Guinea pigs to the vet because she was acting strange and not eating. The vet told me that she has a GTI, and gave me some anti-inflammatory medication and some Oxbow Critical Care. I told him my guinea pig's weekly diet, as well. He gave my guinea pig a vitamin C shot, and told me I should give her Oxbow's vitamin C disc-thingies daily. My guinea pigs are on a purely vegetable/fruit/hay diet, and have not received pellets for over a year. That said, I feed bell peppers, kale, carrots, red leaf lettuce, tomatoes, and apples throughout the week. Is this not enough vitamin C for them? I've never in my life had issues relating to vitamin C with my guinea pigs. Was the vet just trying to get me to buy something at his shop? My total for the vet was around 150 dollars.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd supplement with vitamin C if I weren't feeding pellets.

That said, you can get it many places, probably cheaper than at the vet's.

Cizzzi

Cavy Slave
I would defiantly give them a vitamin C supplement. Even with a pellet based diet, it's a good idea.

mila22

Cavy Gazer
Vitamin C is your best choice

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
Keep in mind too that older pigs and sick pigs need more vitamin C. I didn't think that Tribble was vitamin C deficient either, since he got 2 servings of bell pepper every day along with pellets. But when he got sick with GI stasis and a university vet suggested that he might be deficient, I agreed to try giving him extra for a week. I was surprised to find that the scurfy skin on his ears that I'd been dealing with for a while completely went away overnight when I started supplementing more vit C. Apparently, the skin thing was related to undetected vit C deficiency.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I had a similar issue with a senior sow, @LittleSqueakers.

Greysy

Cavy Gazer
I agree that the best way to give vitamins than have problems in the future

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.