Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wombat - died suddenly while we're on holiday

LukeB

Cavy Slave
Our pig Wombat has died while we're on holiday in the US. He was five and a half years old, which doesn't seem that old but it's what his pal Harris died at last year. It sounds like they died in exactly the same way - fine in the morning, off food in the evening, dead by morning. A friend was looking after him.

He's outlived by Lewis, who we thought would die before both of them as he's very small these days and has a big lump on his head. He's six and a half.

I've got a couple of questions about what we do now.

1- We don't get back to the UK until Sunday. What can our friend do with Wombat? She doesn't have a garden and putting him in a bin doesn't sound right. We also don't want her to be put out more than she already has been.

2- What should we do about Lewis? He's very old, and we think he had a stroke a few weeks ago but he's lively and mobile. Is he too old to start introducing new pigs to him? We've gone through a lot of change recently - we moved from England to Scotland and we don't want to cause him any more stress. Admittedly, he seems to have been completely unphased by all of it.

LukeB

Cavy Slave
IMG_20170109_173131.jpg

IMG_20170428_184349.jpg

IMG_20171023_075537.jpg
IMG_20180227_185956.jpg

Attachments

IMG_20171019_211951.jpg

LukeB

Cavy Slave
IMG_20180507_111429.jpg

Thanks for any help.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Cavies are generally fine with a move. Think about it......their world doesn't change very much so long as they are housed in the same way (perhaps same cage) and everyone in their world moves with them to the new location. It sounds as though your cavies have lived long and happy lives. Unfortunately, they seem to start going downhill after 5 y.o, so Lewis is way above average.

It's pretty much up to you whether or not to find a new cage mate for him and whether or not he seems to be lost without a buddy. If you want to continue keeping cavies, then perhaps you should find a younger one for him. If you need to take a break, then rescue a senior pig to keep him company. I don't think that I would get a baby who is apt to challenge Lewis when he goes through puberty.......that may be too stressful for him. I think that I might look for one who is about two years old so that he is essentially through puberty.

Insofar as the body goes, it can be wrapped in plastic, etc. and placed in the refrigerator or freezer until you are back home to bury him. Otherwise, perhaps your friend can find a wooded area where she can bury him.

So sorry for his death. He was such a cutie and I know that you loved those piggy lips. :love:

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
So very sorry to hear about little Wombat. He was an adorable little fella. His colouring seems so familiar....

Rest in Peace, little man. You've got new buddies to play with at the Rainbow Bridge. The greens are the best and the sun is always warm there.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm so very sorry you lost him. I think Wombat was a wonderful name for him.

LukeB

Cavy Slave
Our friend has taken him to the vet to get cremated. The vet noticed lice on him - surely that can't have killed him? Does Lewis need to go to the vet immediately or can it wait until Sunday when we get back?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.