Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Help with my two guinea pigs

Ngohoangtuan2

Cavy Gazer
Hi. I’m first time having guinea pig. I just got 2 female guinea pigs a week ago. My pigs are vey shy. They always hide when I walk toward the cage. I give them food by hand but they do not come for it. I have 70”x70” cage for them. I see their nails are little long. How can I get them to cut their nails when they do not let me hold them. Is it OK for me to sit in their cage to let them get used to me. Do they need floor time when I have big cage already? I read some article said that if you put the cage on table, your guinea pigs are less shy when you walk to them. Is that true? My cage is a little big I can not put it on the table. Do I need to change it too smaller cage, so I can put I on the table? And have my current cage as a floor time for them?
Thank you!

Cizzzi

Cavy Slave
It can take a while for guinea pigs to warm up to you. Anywhere from a few weeks to a few years, and some might never want you to touch them. Defiantly don't downgrade the cage, bigger is always better. Just sit by the cage and talk to them. Don't try to touch them, just talk. Once they are used to your voice, put you hand in the cage while holding some veg. Don't try to chase the pigs or even go near them, let them come to you. Keep doing this. It's how you tame them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.