Thread: Using a stacked cage for separated guinea pigs, is it ok?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Using a stacked cage for separated guinea pigs, is it ok?

Hello! This is the first thread I’m posting here, so please forgive me if I’m doing this wrong.
    Basically, I currently have two guinea pigs (same sex) who I am planning on building a C&C cage for within the next few months, but there’s just one thing I’m concerned about...if they are unable to get along, would it be alright to use a stacked cage and have one in the top and one in the bottom?

My room is incredibly small. If you walk five steps you would, essentially, be at the other end of my room, so I have very limited space. I already have measured, and I know for sure there’s enough room for a 2x4 grid, with potential for a 2x5 if they get along.

If they don’t however, I have really no other way to give them enough room than to use a stacked cage. The only other thing I might be able to do is create some sort of L-shaped cage, but that’s an endeavor I have not yet been able to measure for ( I probably will after I post this though).

Jin and Cookie (my guinea pigs) are basically my children, I love them and I truly want the best for them, so I’m hoping to gain some helpful opinions here.
    Have a great day!
    Last edited by Jess12345; 11-24-18 at 05:41 pm.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Re: Using a stacked cage for separated guinea pigs, is it ok?

I remember reading somewhere on here that someone had to use a stacked cage. And when I've read it on other forums, no one seems to diagreee with it. Hope they get along though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

I really hope they get along too, I’d feel a lot better with knowing for sure they aren’t lonely, and I think they would be really happy to have someone to interact with that’s not a person who’s so much bigger than them. Thank you for replying! I really couldn’t find anything on if it was alright to use the stacked cage in that way, so it’s a bit comforting to know that it wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

After months of planning and getting materials, I’ve been able to make them their c&c cage! Cages, actually. Unfortunately they didn’t get along, so I did end up making them each their own cage and stacking them. Jin now has a 2x3 and Cookie has a 2x4!

These pictures aren’t the greatest, but here they are anyway:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4C9E462B-D4EF-43A8-8A09-9F66A6232224.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	85764 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21F96143-5D3C-48A5-AD55-3A9DBF6895EC.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	85765

User Tag List