Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Appropriate size of cage?

Emizo

Cavy Gazer
So I currently have three boars and have been trying to bond them into a trio. I know that boar trios usually don't work, but I still want to give it a try. I currently have them in 4 x 4 c&c cage (approx 21 square feet) and they don't seem to be bickering as much. I replaced/washed all their hideys, cleaned the area around them with a diluted vinegar and water mixture, and replaced their fleece with freshly washed them. There does seem to be a bit of teeth chattering but no real fighting as one of them backs down quite easily. But really, is the cage big enough for them? I originally got another pig so I could bond with my original boar, but was then given another by a family friend who couldn't take care of them anymore. My family really wants them to be in a trio, but I'm not sure it'll work out in the future.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Theoretically, that should be a large enough cage.

I WILL tell you that I had three boars in a cage TWICE that size (almost 40 square feet) and it still failed. You're simply better off to not try, or you could wind up with one or more injured pigs.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto @Guinea Pig Papa.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Pigs bond in pairs most of the time, I would add one more boar so they can pair off and I think a 4x5 would work for them. I did have 4 boars at one time in a 3x5 and there was some bickering. 100_0697.jpg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.