Thread: Appropriate size of cage?

Appropriate size of cage?

So I currently have three boars and have been trying to bond them into a trio. I know that boar trios usually don't work, but I still want to give it a try. I currently have them in 4 x 4 c&c cage (approx 21 square feet) and they don't seem to be bickering as much. I replaced/washed all their hideys, cleaned the area around them with a diluted vinegar and water mixture, and replaced their fleece with freshly washed them. There does seem to be a bit of teeth chattering but no real fighting as one of them backs down quite easily. But really, is the cage big enough for them? I originally got another pig so I could bond with my original boar, but was then given another by a family friend who couldn't take care of them anymore. My family really wants them to be in a trio, but I'm not sure it'll work out in the future.

Re: Appropriate size of cage?

Theoretically, that should be a large enough cage.

I WILL tell you that I had three boars in a cage TWICE that size (almost 40 square feet) and it still failed. You're simply better off to not try, or you could wind up with one or more injured pigs.

Ditto @Guinea Pig Papa.

Pigs bond in pairs most of the time, I would add one more boar so they can pair off and I think a 4x5 would work for them. I did have 4 boars at one time in a 3x5 and there was some bickering.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0697.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	85591