Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Forages Store bought forages- Good? Bad?

olive_

Cavy Slave
I was recently at Petsmart and I came across Market Medley Guinea Pig Forage Salad Mix. I decided it was worth a try so I bought it and brought it home. Now my guinea pigs have never had forage other than one that I tried to make but it was a disaster. They absolutely love this forage but I don't know many people who buy their forage from a store. I'm asking if there's any red flags I should be looking for. I don't give them a lot, maybe 1/8 cup and I don't give it to them every day. They seem fine but I'm just double checking if anyone has had bad experiences with store bought forage or if they know if this brand is reliable.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
I couldn't find anything definitive on whether or not chamomile flowers or mountain ash berries are safe or not. I did find a few sources that said that bay leaves aren't good for guinea pigs to eat, which isn't surprising as humans don't eat them either; they're just used as a flavoring and then discarded.

Looking at the rest of the ingredients though, I really don't see anything too special about this forage mix. It's mostly hay and most of the rest of the ingredients are pretty easy stuff to just get at the grocery store. Why not just get some fresh parsley, carrots, and a little plain oatmeal at the grocery store and bury in a pile of hay as a treat every once in a while? Guinea pigs don't need anything special as far as "forage" goes; they just enjoy a rare treat every once in a while. Personally, I would say this storebought forage isn't worth the money. Looks like a marketing ploy to me.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.