Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Sherwood Guinea Pig Food

FuzzMom

Cavy Slave
Hi. Just got my Peruvian boys. They/re currently on Dumore, which i found out is super yucky. Blue Seal is no beter apparently. These are both local foods. I just got done looking at reviews for a food called sherwood. anyone tried it/ The videos and reviews looked pretty good. Also, if anyone has tried it, what's the difference between their adult and baby food? at least, even though I'll have to order it, theres no shipping charge! Thanks.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I've seen a good bit of discussion about it. There's a lot of chatter that it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, and people are attributing all sorts of wonderful things to it, often after only a few days of feeding it.

I'm not so impressed. It's VERY high in calcium, the guy that makes it doesn't appear to have any particularly qualifications for the statements he makes, and there have been no comparative studies on it at all. I wouldn't give it to my guinea pigs for anything.

Oxbow is available pretty much everywhere. If you're in the US, KMS Hayloft has the freshest pellets around. Those are the only two I'd recommend.

FuzzMom

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I'm in Ny state. Lost a previous girl while on oxbow, so I'm alittle hesitant to try that again. It's a shame because it's one of the major brands. i'm not familiar with the other brand you recommended. I don't think it's local to me. This junk is what was in the bag of supplies i got, along with a hide house, toys and yogurt drops and seed stick things; ick!

FuzzMom

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I'm in ny state. I lost a gp previously on Oxbow due to calcium issues according to my vet. I'm a little hesitant to try that again, even though it's a major and reputable brand. The Dumore crud came with these guys along with yogurt drops and seedstick things ick. Never heard of the other brand you recommend, I don't think it's local.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
While I agree with @bpatters, I don't necessarily follow the advice. I too did a trial experiment with Sherwood pellets and my boys didn't like them. As a healthcare professional, I am very strongly rooted in science and want to see comparative studies for a product upon which such claims are made. Sherwood simply can't produce evidence for the claims they make.

Blue Seal
pellets are not generally highly regarded, but they are not the worst either. I originally started feeding them upon recommendation from a couple of respected breeders. I took a break to try the Sherwood and then went back to Blue Seal. There are no perfect pellets, but KMS comes the closest. I have had issues with them in the past and simply don't wish to do business with them again. They are located in the Pacific Northwest and available only online.

Yes, of course, I'm well aware of the nutritional content of Blue Seal but have been feeding them for probably 7 years. My local feed store buys them in bulk and repackages them into smaller bags. Their supply is always fresh and the prices very reasonable.......and my cavies love them. I have never seen any evidence that they have caused problems. If you want to see the published content of BS, you are welcome to PM me, provide an email, and I will be happy to send it to you.

FuzzMom

Cavy Slave
Hi. Not familiar with the pm function; will try and figure that one out, as I'd love the info on the B.S. food. I can get a large bag of it fairly easily. The stuff I asked about .does look good, though. i think I'll at least get a sample. I talked to Sherwood since posting this morning. Apparently the gentleman that created it is a molecular biologist, studying science on a cellular level. i'm actually surprised that there aren't any studies, especially since he's a biologist.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Not familiar with the pm function; will try and figure that one out. I'm actually surprised that there aren't any studies, especially since he's a biologist.

PM simply means "private message". Look up on the green tool bar at the top of this page and you will see it.

When I look at studies, I want to see a third party study, not an in-house one done by the manufacturer, owner and promoter. I'm always suspect of those.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.