Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior The bucking bronco

Mousewife

Cavy Slave
Ok, so I have established that my little pig, Ginger, is straight up the weirdest creature I?ve ever had in my family.

He does this thing. And I honestly cannot tell if it?s his version of a popcorn or what it is. He used to popcorn a lot when we first got him, and it doesn?t quite look like that. He looks for all the world like a bucking bronco. He does it most often when he gets fresh food and/or hay.

He will run spastic loops around the cage (often freaking out Bilbo in the process), then jump around, tossing his head and kicking his legs.

I can?t seem to get a video of it, but I will post one if I do.

Is this normal? Should I be concerned about the strangeness of my pig? Is his strangeness possibly the result of having been removed from his mother too soon or his early illness as a pup?

And yes, my boys are back together. Ginger kept knocking down the wall or otherwise figuring out how to get to the other side. I kept waking up to find them together, so just removed the wall. And...they?ve been fine, so...:confused:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Dollars to doughnuts says he's popcorning.

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
One of my pigs, Michael, does exactly that. My Hippo does the pretty standard popcorn that most pigs seem to do, but Michael seems to have his own version of popcorning. The only word I can describe it as is violent, it almost looks like he's in pain from how intensely he's jerking around. It's quite endearing! I'm not a guinea pig expert, but I'm guessing that it's completely normal.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Every single one of my boars, to some degree or other, has done exactly that. They look just like a little bucking bronco at the rodeo. Head down, and shaking it side to side. Leaping in one direction while kicking their feet in the other. Scooter sometimes even puts his head down, and bounces on his back feet while his front paws are in the air. Then he'll dive headfirst into one of their beds and roll over on his back.

Ginger sounds to me like a normal, happy pig. It's quite comical, enjoy it. :D

Mousewife

Cavy Slave
Every single one of my boars, to some degree or other, has done exactly that. They look just like a little bucking bronco at the rodeo. Head down, and shaking it side to side. Leaping in one direction while kicking their feet in the other. Scooter sometimes even puts his head down, and bounces on his back feet while his front paws are in the air. Then he'll dive headfirst into one of their beds and roll over on his back.

Ginger sounds to me like a normal, happy pig. It's quite comical, enjoy it. :D

he is hilarious and so full of personality and energy. I adore him to pieces. But he is the first pig I’ve seen do this kind of “popcorning“. It’s so funny to watch him go.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.