Thread: Louise & Melody's Medical Thread

Cavy Slave

Louise & Melody's Medical Thread

My dog is suffering from flea and this is the first time. I am a bit skeptic that those fleas might also get into Louise and Melody's body. I have started to conduct a research online and have come across a product called Advantage flea and tick control. Is there anyone of you who have tried to use this product before? Is it effective on getting rid of this parasite? I am open to other suggestion, thanks in advance.

Re: Dog suffering from Flea

I'm changing the name of this thread, and you can post all possibly medical-related questions on it.

Guinea pigs can use Advantage but not Advantage II.

I'd talk to an exotic vet about flea treatments for pigs -- I'm not sure what you've got available in Canada. There's a limited number of things that GPs can take.

Re: Louise & Melody's Medical Thread

Would a topical ivermectin treatment not work? Revolution -- used in cats for flea control -- is an ivermectin-family drug, and it's cheap and safe for guinea pigs. I once brought home fleas from my work at the animal hospital. I was holding Tribble and saw a flea surface through his fur and then dive down again. I happened to have a leftover tube of puppy/kitten size Revolution from a mites treatment and just went ahead and put it on him. Never saw anymore fleas (although, admittedly, I only ever saw the one).

Kitten Revolution should work. I just wasn't sure she had it available in Canada.

I was just thinking any type of topical ivermectin in the right concentration. Doesn't have to be Revolution.

Cavy Slave

Thank you all for the suggestion, I will look for the said product. I am honestly thinking of filing a leave so that I can visit L&M's vet.