Thread: How many towels? (& cheap fleece tip)

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question How many towels? (& cheap fleece tip)

We are getting guinea pigs for Christmas, and I?ve been doing a lot of research and gathering the cage supplies. I have fleece, and plan on sewing liners. For the smaller liners, I?m going to use some old cloth diapers as the absorbent layer, but I don?t have enough of those for the whole cage and am planning on using towels in the larger area.

How many towels should I have under the fleece layer? 2? 3?

Thanks!

By the way, keep an eye out for sales on no-sew fleece blanket kits. They are basically two giant pieces of color coordinated fleece. Joann?s had theirs on sale last week and I was able to get about 4 yards of fleece for $10! (All of their normal fleece was about $7+/yard, even on sale.)

Thanks
    Thanks
    16 Rec'd/16 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

Re: How many towels? (& cheap fleece tip)

I've used towels for some of the first liners I've made and I used 2 towels. That being said, they got stinky really quick and took FOREVER to dry. I'm talking about hours in the dryer or being hung up on a clothes rack for days. Since you have many weeks to prepare for your piggies, I'd recommend looking into Uhaul furniture pads as your absorbent layer instead of towels.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Snugglybutt View Post
    I've used towels for some of the first liners I've made and I used 2 towels. That being said, they got stinky really quick and took FOREVER to dry.
    Thank you! I had wondered about drying.

Do you recommend two layers for the U-Haul pads? I looked at those earlier and with two layers it was a few inches too small for me to get two pads out of it. I?d also read that they shrink a lot over time? They look awesome though.

Thanks
    Thanks
    16 Rec'd/16 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

I used to use 2 layers of Uhaul, but now that I have a bigger cage (3x6 C&C), I make my liners with 1 layer instead since my pigs have lots of room to spread out the pee. How big is your cage? When I made my liners with 2 Uhaul layers, I was able to make 2 2x3 liners and a handful of pee pads with one package. Even so, I think it's very cost effective to use Uhaul pads instead of towels, since they're both around $10 where I live.

I personally haven't had any issues with shrinkage, but other users claim that they do shrink over time. My liners are only 5 months old so they're still "newish", so maybe that's why. I've read that washing the Uhaul pads a few times by themselves in hot water will shrink them to their "true size" so they won't shrink in the future.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The bottom floor will be 2x3, which is where I’m going to use the towels/pads. Then the loft will have a smaller pad and a kitchen with other bedding. I’m hoping they will do most of their business in the kitchen, but we will see.

When I checked the measurements of the U-haul pad, it seemed like it was going to be just a little bit too small. Maybe my calculations were off, or maybe they’ve gotten smaller.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sorry, looking at the blankets again there should be plenty for two layers. I think I accidentally halved both dimensions, Haha.

I think I will probably get one, just don’t tell my husband I’m spending even more on the cage!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oh, I also have several of these mattress pads I could use that are thick flannel.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by Tharvey; 11-16-18 at 03:30 pm.

Thanks
    Thanks
    16 Rec'd/16 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

Mattress pads are a great absorbent layer to use, but many people choose to put these under their liners, not within them. So the order would be the coroplast bottom, a mattress pee pad, and finally the fleece liners you create. I have some mattress pads that are sewn to some fleece and they work nicely, but I have to change them out daily if used in a high-traffic area.

User Tag List