Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Teeth Momo's Dental Journey; it all started with slowed eating...

Gutfunk

Cavy Slave
Hello all,

I'm facing some really difficult times with my very loved 4-year old guinea pig, Momo. She's now taken the main spotlight in every aspect of my life right now, and I just feel like I need to write about what she's going through somewhere. I feel distraught about her situation but I'm trying my hardest... I'll go ahead and just chronicle all the things that have happened so far with her recent dental situation.

About 2 weeks ago (nov 3rd), I noticed Momo was eating much slower than our other guinea pig, enough that it was causing concern. Upon inspection, I noticed her teeth were crooked, and took her to the emergency vet, where they recommended her teeth be filed. I called three vets in the area, and all of them said guinea pigs -must- be under anesthesia to undergo the procedure, so I took Momo to the local board certified small animal dentist when an appointment was available (Nov 7th)

Up to the surgery date, Momo has been eating and drinking properly, just doing so very slowly. The Emergency vet gave us pain meds for 7 days just in case she was currently in pain and for after dental surgery as well. A few days after first noticing her slow eating, she was taken in for her dental work. (nov 7th) The surgery went well, and Momo woke up and, though slightly groggy, was otherwise alright.

She still ate just as slow as before after the teeth filing. I started hand feeding her at this point, she liked it when her veggies were cut into tiny strips and hand fed to her. I usually fed her anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour until she was no longer interested, and put her back with her cage mate. She has unlimited access to hay and pellets, as well as a few new twiggy chews to try and keep her interested in chewing or eating. I continued this for 3 days. Her weight stayed around 880 - 900 grams this whole time.

On the 4th day after dental filing(nov 11th), Momo suddenly became completely uninterested in eating and drinking. I weighed her, and she had suddenly dropped to 850 grams. It was at this point I knew I had to start critical care syringe feedings and give her water by syringe. It took a whole lot of work, because she absolutely hates every second of it and cannot stand critical care, but I'm managing to get 10 - 15 ML into her on 4 - 5 hour intervals. It takes me about an hour+ each time because she is so very reluctant to take it. She will accept orange bits (for vitamin C) and Banana at this point, but nothing else. She will no longer drink water from her water bottle. I separated her from her cage mate.

This ordeal continued for 3 more days(nov 13th). It's very difficult to consistently feed a pig when you're working, I'll say that! But I'm trying my best, lack of sleep and bosses ire be darned. Over these 3 days I took her to two different vets, trying to figure out if there's something else that can be done. The vets both agreed that her teeth were fine, and that they aren't sure why she would be rejecting food, but reassured me to keep trying. I received another batch of pain medication just in case, a motility drug, and some antibiotics from the vet to see if it wold help.

Finally, Momo started showing interest in food again! (evening, nov 13th) She was nibbling at pellets for 30 minutes one day, but she was still weighing only 850, so I had to keep the critical care up. She would sometimes take a few strands of wheat grass and eat parts of a carrot, and a little bit of cilantro and lettuce. It was such a great relief to see her finally eating something.

Unfortunately, yesterday (Nov 14th, evening) Momo resumed being completely uninterested in food again. Critical care of course had not stopped this whole time, so I continued, and as usual she hated every second of it, even when I gave her water from the syringe as well. It feels so much that Momo is giving up and it's tearing me apart, but I'm trying hard for her to keep her going.

Today, nothing has changed. It's the 5th day of force feeding her critical care and she still doesn't care for any food or water except for her orange bits for vitamin C. All the time I have fresh Vegs replenished in her cage after each feeding, hay, and pellets, which for the most part go completely untouched between feedings. It's very heartbreaking to go through this, and has actually been pretty physically difficult for me to adjust to this sleep schedule I now have to take care of her. Thus, I finally felt the need to document my struggles to make sure I don't forget what's happened so far, and just in case anyone wants to chime in and offer any help or advice or encouragement during this very difficult time.

I'll update things as they come, but for now things are a bit distressing, mostly because I wish she would at least drink water or eat something on her own.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Don't give up! Momo needs you now, more than ever, and you're doing everything you can.

I know it's scary. It's distressing, it's nerve wracking and upsetting. ESPECIALLY since this is the first one.

I went through almost TWO YEARS of these with my boar, Sly. His first one was a few days before Christmas in 2016, and his last came at the beginning of July this year. It was always an ordeal when you love these little creatures as we do.

I did the same as you, with Sly when his troubles started. It may help you with what's to come.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/114592-Sly-s-Medical-Thread

Gutfunk

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much Guinea Pig Papa! Your kind words are so welcoming right now! Just knowing someone understands the stress of this situation helps me feel not so alone. I read through Sly's thread, and it's really helpful to know what kind of things to expect in case something goes wrong... it gives people a starting point to know what to expect and not to give up!

Today's update (Nov 16)

Momo has been taking her feedings as usual, and thank goodness her weight was increasing again. She hit 860 grams once more, and this morning she started showing interest in picking at food again. She actually ate a whole cilantro strand! She followed that up with a little bit of hay and lettuce. It feels so good when they finally start to eat a little again. Fingers crossed that she keeps this up. I put her back with her cage mate because she seems to be happier and walks around more with her around, not to mention when her cage mate goes to eat hay or pellets, she will at least act along and show a little interest in nibbling on some of it too. Basically we've given her alone time to eat veggies and etc, but after she's eaten for a while we'll let her back with her cage mate for more quality time. They sort of dislike each other, but even so it seems the company really makes a difference in Momo's additude.

Also, today was the first day all week that she wheeked for food when she heard the plastic bag rustling... it was the happiest I've ever been to hear that little squeak!

We are still giving Momo critical care at regular intervals, but we are dialing the amount down slightly so she's more encouraged to eat on her own. The vet actually recommended today that we dialed down how much critical care we gave her to only 2 feedings a day, but I don't really feel comfortable doing that, seeing as she's still struggling to eat normally like she use to.

I'm hoping so much that she continues to progress well. My dream is that she makes a miraculous recovery before thanksgiving, but even then I'd be too worried to leave her! I'm going to have to cancel a plane flight home for thanksgiving with family to tend to her, in most likely-hood, but Momo is part of my family too so I have to do the best for her!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Very, very glad to hear Momo is making progress. It's her first one, so it can go so many different ways. Sometimes they'll bounce right back, and others will take a couple of weeks to come around. It sounds like Momo is one of those "take a little longer" pigs and that's ok. Increasing weight is a VERY good thing, and interest in food is even better.

By all means keep up with the Critical Care feedings as long as you feel she needs it. You'll get a pretty good feeling when she's eating enough on her own to sustain herself.

I would have done the same thing. I would have (and I think I have) cancelled pretty much anything to tend to my boys when they were ill.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.