Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Older guinea pig and younger guinea pig introduction

Obiwankenodi

Cavy Gazer
Hello and thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I have two guinea pigs, both male. Jerry (older) and George (younger). I got Jerry from a friend of a friend and he's always been super relaxed but never been houaed with another guinea pig. George came from a pet shop and was the last in the group because he kept chasing the ladies.

When I first got George I kept them separate for about a day and a half. Then set them up a space to meet. I out in 2 food bowls, piles of lettuce and hay along with a water bottle and some toys. For most of the time (about an hour and a half) George was chasing Jerry trying to mount him, I'm assuming to show dominance. Jerry is a lot bigger than George and did not seem to react at first but then started chattering a bit and squeaking. George would leave him alone for just a bit then start up again. They never seemed to fight and no blood.

I'm just not sure I'm getting them set up for the best introductions. Any tips and help would be appreciated. I am going to build a bigger C&C cage for them both once they get along.

Thanks so much!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!

Putting them together and then separating them again is not the way to do introductions. Here's the bible on how to do it: https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html.

Do the introductions in a large neutral space when you've got hours to give to it. Do NOT rush this process.

You'll stand a much better chance of success if you build the large cage BEFORE you try to put them together than by waiting until afterwards. Lack of space is a major reason for guinea pig aggression, particularly between males.

Obiwankenodi

Cavy Gazer
Thanks so much for the info! I don't think I originally gave them enough space to separate when they needed to.

George just kept following Jerry and with the lack of a better term "humping" his body and backside. Should I just let them continue with each other for a few hours in a neutral space?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yep, that's exactly what you do. You only separate when blood is drawn, and nipping doesn't count.

Don't put them in the cage until they're thoroughly tired and worn out. Make sure every hidey in the cage has at least two doors. Hang some fleece forests strategically in the cage so they can't always see each other. "Out of sight, out of mind" is a useful motto for GP introductions.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.