Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Antibiotic Question

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
Hello, My guinea pig was diagnosed with a URI last week. She was prescribed Bactrim and has been on that for 6 days now with no visible improvement. I took her back to the vet today because she has been breathing heavily which is worrying me, so vet decided to prescribe two different antibiotics Doxycycline and Enrofloxacin (bayril generic). I am honestly scared to give the Enrofloxacin because it killed my aunts guinea pig. My guinea pig is 5 years old and weighs 896 grams and was prescribed 0.07mL of Enrofloxacin twice a day. Does this seem right? Any advice?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It depends on the strength of the Enrofloxacin. The bottle should say something like x mg/ml, or a percent. We'd have to know that to know whether the dose is right.

Any pig on an antibiotic should also be getting a probiotic 60-90 minutes after every dose of antibiotics. Bene-Bac is good. It may be available at a local pet store, but is definitely available from Amazon. The big syringe is is the easiest way to give it.

Enrofloxacin (Baytril) affects most pigs' appetites, and you'll have to be prepared to hand feed your pig. The MOST important thing you can do is to keep food moving through her system. Guinea pigs MUST eat regularly, or they'll die. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/115000-Handfeeding-a-guinea-pig for more information.

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
The enrofolxacin prescription bottle that I have from the vet says "Enroflox 100 inj" Give 0.07mL twice daily. I called vet to ask what the inj meant. She said that sometimes the medicine is used as an injection but can also be given orally. The 100 is 100mg/mL.

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
Also, would Bene-Bac gel or powder be better?

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
The big syringe is is the easiest way to give it.

Note [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] suggestion and you'll have your answer. Don't even think of buying those tiny little tubes of Bene-Bac.....they are just about useless. Buy the large syringe from Amazon and dose it according to directions. It is infinitely easier and far more cost effective. It is available in a single pack or a three-pack. (broken link removed)
Bene-Bac.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Baytril (enrofloxacin) has a range of dosing -- 2.5 to 10 mg. of drug per kilogram of body weight of the guinea pig, twice a day. Your pig is getting 7 mg twice a day, and weighs .9 kilograms. So the dose is appropriate.

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
Anyone familiar with Bactrim? How long does it usually take to work? My piggie has been on it for 1 week and I think it may be kicking in finally. Not sure if i should keep her on the Bactrim or give her the doxycycline.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
I've never used Bactrim for a URI before, only for UTI. But a patient should start showing significant improvement on an antibiotic in 2-3 days or even less if the antibiotic is working. I'd switch to the new antibiotics your vet prescribed.

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
So switch to the doxycycline.

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Doxycycline is the AB I'd try first for any respiratory-related illness. It's generally pretty effective.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Bactrim is more effective against gram-negative bacteria, usually found in the urinary tract. About the only time I've heard of Bactrim being given for a URI is with very young pups who are too young for Baytril.

But I'm guessing you're going to have a hell of a time giving injectable Enrofloxacin orally. The stuff tastes horrible, and IMO, a reasonable vet would have it compounded with something that tastes good to make it easier to dose. Was this an exotic vet that you saw, or a small animal vet?

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
It was an exotic vet. Is it possible to give doxycycline by itself to treat URI?

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
Also, is doxycycline as strong as enrofloxacin?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Doxycycline is sometimes given alone, particularly to young pigs. Enrofloxacin is a "stronger" antibiotic, that is, it's effective against more organisms. Sometimes the two are given together, but not usually unless one of them has failed. IMO, the fact that Bactrim didn't clear a URI is not enough reason to start out with these two together.

With stubborn infections, they're sometimes either given together, or are "pulsed" -- one is given, then the other, then the first again, etc.

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
My vet prescribed both enrofloxacin and doxycycline to be given together since Bactrim didn't work. The vet had to order the doxycycline, I should hopefully get it today. Would you recommend I give the doxycycline by itself? I just feel the members on here have had the actual experience with medications.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If it were me, I'd give the enrofloxacin by itself, and only add the doxy if it doesn't work.

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
Is it safe to give children's benadryl to guinea pigs?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, but why would you be giving it?

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
The vet said to give benadryl if needed in between antibiotic doses. My piggy has been breathing heavily but still eats etc. I still don't have the doxycycline prescription yet. Still waiting for it.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
Benadryl is an antihistamine for allergies. If your pig's wheezing/breathing problems are being caused by a URI, benedryl isn't going to help those symptoms. You can still try though, if you want to. Benedryl is generally considered very safe.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.