Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Roof or No Roof?

caylx

Cavy Gazer
Would my guinea pigs be more comfortable if they had a roof over their head? I was just wondering if having a lid of even just a roof higher than the walls of their enclosure would make them feel less likely to get swooped away and make them overall comfortable, at least during the taming process.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
I think that draping towels over corners to create tents and draping them widthwise across the cage can help create a feeling of being partially enclosed or sheltered and helps the pigs to feel less anxious. I liked to use towels and swaths of fleece to kind of create a "roof" type feel in some areas of the cage, along with providing actual hidey houses, of course. Some pigs, like my beloved turtle-pig, Flower, are very reluctant to come out into the open even after taming. But definitely draping towels and fleece in a way that provide some cover will definitely help them feel safer and help them adjust better to new surroundings.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I keep certain areas of my fellas cage and pen covered. They have cardboard boxes in the pen they can hide in, and the back half of their cage is covered.

The opposite corner of the pen is also covered, but the vast majority of it is open. Both pigs will lie in the beds that are covered, or uncovered.

Long and short of it, is that it really depends on the personality of your pig. Some pigs are much more fearful than others, which is of course because they are prey animals. My boys have come to learn that where they live is in complete safety, and they are comfortable in the cage no matter where they are. Your pigs may or may not come to understand the same.

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
I would highly recommend having at least a little bit of your cage roofed. I have a 3x6 CC and 1x3 of it is covered with a fleece forest, and my boars absolutely love it. They spend a majority of their time in it and it's the only place they sleep, so I imagine it makes them feel very safe!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
You know, you folks are going to shame me into making a fleece forest yet! :crazy: I have known about fleece forests for several years, but just never got around to making one.......and they appear SO simple. I suspect that my boys would sleep together if they had an enclosure large enough for the two of them, keeping in mind that Sparky is 3 lbs and Chip 2.3lb.

Below is the link that I have to making fleece forests. If anyone has a better construction method, I'd love to hear it. I want something that will stay on the grid and not be pulled off at the slightest movement. Also, any designs and sources for those half-circle grids that are appropriate for the corners?

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/67935-Easy-Fleece-Forest/page3

caylx

Cavy Gazer
Thanks everyone for the advice! We had them in an open top C&C cage and I could see they weren't comfortable with being exposed because they wouldn't even come out and eat. We ended up building them an 11 sq ft house out of an old cabinet and just remodelled it for them with the top unexposed and decided to give them more floor time for exposure until they got comfortable and they're already liking it more. They're coming out and eating and running around without just staying hidden.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.