Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Neutering/Spaying Better to spay female or neuter male? Can't do both

BigBossPants

Cavy Slave
Hello,
I have recently rescued a guinea who turned out to be pregnant. She gave birth to 3 healthy pups, and one not so healthy which sadly had to be euthanized. It looks like I have found a home for the 2 female pups when they are old enough, leaving the mother and one male pup who I may keep. The male was separated at 3 weeks old.
If I do keep them I would be housing them together, but obviously need to desex one of them. My finances don't allow me to desex both. I have had a castrated male before and found he had a lot of buildup of gunk around his penis which he didn't have before he was castrated. I don't mind the extra cleaning but it isn't the most fun job in the world!
Would a spayed female and entire male likely get along ok, or am I better off having an entire female and castrated male? Also is spaying as safe as castrating? Mum is an unknown age but I do know this is not her first litter. Any information or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
As long as one of them has been neutered, they should get along.

Neutering a male is a simpler procedure than spaying a female, and safer, not to mention cheaper. Do find an exotic vet to do it, though -- it's not the same procedure as for a dog or cat.

I'm not sure castration was the cause of the buildup around your other male's penis -- owners with neutered males don't generally report that happening. So you might not have the same problem again.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure castration was the cause of the buildup around your other male's penis -- owners with neutered males don't generally report that happening. So you might not have the same problem again.

I certainly agree! I have had both intact and neutered males and the intact one had F-A-R more buildup of "gunk" both in their anal sac AND around the penis. Keep in mind that cavies are as different as we humans are. Both my current boys are neutered and one of them has more buildup than his brother. They haven't always been neutered, but the decision to do so was based on the fact that Sparky's cajones were SO large that he absolutely couldn't walk nor lie down comfortably! And, at about age 6 months, he constantly had such buildup that I simply couldn't keep him clean. After consulting with my Vet, we made the decision to have him neutered.......along with his brother so that the balance of power wouldn't be upset.

What did you house the previous male on? Was it shavings, litter or fleece? From my experience, I would NEVER again house a boar on shavings! They all too easily get the shavings stuck around the penis and in the sheath which then just gathers more debris and may result in their not being able to extrude or retract the penis. Part of the care of boars involves weekly (or at least monthly) cleaning of their genitals along with the other necessary grooming such as nail trimming and ear cleaning.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.