Thread: Air Purifier Recommendations

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar

Air Purifier Recommendations

Hey guys, I know I've seen air purifier talk around here before but not generally about specific models.

I don't actually need an air purifier for guinea pig reasons, but because my next door neighbor smokes and it seeps through the air vents into my unit, and I absolutely hate it. I've been looking on Amazon for some different air purifiers and got a bit of sticker shock. I was expecting to pay about 50 dollars but the ones at the lower price points seem to either not work or to actually be dangerous (I saw way too many reviews about the electrical components in some of those air purifiers beginning to burn).

So, does anyone have an air purifier they really like and has a good price to performance ratio? I don't mind spending more if I know it'll get me results, but I know nothing about air purifiers because I never needed one before now.

Re: Air Purifier Recommendations

Just going to tag @spy9doc here. I know she has an air purifier she uses and has recommended!

I have several air purifiers in my home. My most favorite one is a Kenmore that was purchased from Sears. It is amazing. My husband and I allow ourselves a few pieces of bacon for Sunday breakfast and once I turn on the purifier the odor is completely gone from the house within just a short time. We do not smoke so I can't attest to how well it works on that, but we do use it when we have our fireplace insert running because we have a bird. It really removes the smoke odor immediately. That particular purifier was very expensive but well worth the cost.

In my pig's room and also in our bedroom we have Honeywell purifiers. We purchased them from Amazon and have been really pleased. The model number is HPA160 series. They contain a Hepa Tower Allergen Remover and cover 170 sq. ft.
    I'm afraid I can't quite remember how much we paid for them. I know there are less expensive models available but I feel quite often it's a matter of getting what you paid for. I would rather pay a little more and have it work nicely.

I'm sorry you have to have that unfortunate situation with your neighbor. I cannot tolerate the odor of cigarette smoke. I think you will find that an air purifier will help quite a bit with the smoke odor.

Thanks for the suggestions, Kelsie (and thanks for tagging, sallyvh). I was searching through the Honeywell purifiers on Amazon and saw some that looked good. The price point was higher than I was originally thinking, but ultimately I want something that is going to work well, and the tradeoff is it seems like the Honeywell replacement filters are cheaper than in the cheaper purifier brands.

Thanks for the sympathy with the neighbor situation too. I probably have a move in my future because it's driving me crazy. I'm sure I'll love having a good air purifier even when smoke is no longer an issue, though.

Well, my pal, Sally, tagged me and here I am!

I can recommend the Homedics air purifiers without any hesitation at all! I have the smaller model in my home office (which is also the piggy room) and it has literally run 24/7 for more than six years! I find the unit to be a quiet pleasant sound that is much like white noise to me.

I brush the filter monthly and change it about every six months. This is a situation where you literally "get what you pay for". These units are expensive and the replacement filters are pricey. I originally bought mine at BBB with a 20% off coupon and it was, of course, a previous model and design. We also own the larger unit but it has been sitting in the attic unused for the past five years.

Interesting experience last week: The cage needed to be changed and was pretty odoriferous. I cleaned the cage as best I could for the moment, but the smell just didn't leave the room. Something prompted me to look at the filter in the unit and it looked pretty used. I fortunately had a spare and put it into the machine after a bit of vacuuming and cleaning. Couldn't believe the difference!

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...cs+air+cleaner

Thanks spy9doc! I'll have to take a look at that one too. I have a BB&B nearby so I'll take a ride out. That price point isn't too bad either.