Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Best Bedding for Kitchen?

Krystaleb97

Cavy Slave
Right now I have tried using paper pellets and aspen shavings and I leave them in the kitchen for about three to four days and then empty it out completely but I feel like its wasting a lot of bedding!! I have gone through more bedding now than when I used to have them in smaller cages, changing the bedding once a week. Their kitchen is about 25 inches by 24 inches with 2 inch sides. Its only been about a month that theyve had their kitchen and Ive already gone through 4 big bags of their bedding. I used to only buy a bag a month!

If the bedding was actually completely soiled after the four days then I would not be posting this but I compost all my bedding and most of it is dry when I throw it in the compost! This is my first time with a C&C cage and kitchen and Im just wondering if this is how much bedding is normally wasted? Is there some magical color-changing bedding that changes color when peed on? With their old cage I would kind of sift through it and save the non soiled bedding but with the kitchen and how often I have to clean it, I cant be sifting through it all the time and wasting all my gloves. I just want to know how often to normally clean a kitchen. My cage only has two boys. Thank you in advance!

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
I actually switched to all fleece for that exact reason. I have two 1x2 grid kitchens that I use in my piggies cage. Each one has a 1x2 fleece liner I bought from etsy. The liners were about 20$ each. It was a bit pricey up front but sure beats all the waste/cost of using disposable bedding. In my kitchens I put giant piles of hay for the piggies to eat, play and lay in. Once a day I dump and sweep off the liners. I replace them daily but could get away with flipping them over and using the other side if I wanted. Is the rest of your cage fleece?

Krystaleb97

Cavy Slave
Yes the rest of the cage is fleece. Isn't it hard to get the hay out of the liners? I didn't know liners could be so cheap! I was still undecided between buying skme and making my own because I thought the only liners that existed were the $50 one on Amazon. I hadn't even thought about etsy lol! I'll take a look.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Yes the rest of the cage is fleece. Isn't it hard to get the hay out of the liners? I didn't know liners could be so cheap! I was still undecided between buying skme and making my own because I thought the only liners that existed were the $50 one on Amazon. I hadn't even thought about etsy lol! I'll take a look.

Actually no. Even when the fleece is urine soaked I don't have trouble sweeping it off. I have a mini stiff broom/brush and dust pan that I use. Someone said they use a stiff horse brush or rubber comb that works well too. Only issue I have ever had is when my Small Pet Select hay was particularly seedy, some of them got stuck in the fleece and I had to individually pull them out by hand. That was a fluke thing though, and only happened once in my two years of using them.

Oh my gosh yes, Etsy is amazing. Here are my two favorite shops, both have incredible customer service, frequent sales, and will occassionally send you discount codes.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/HeathersPiggyFleece?ref=notif_nfyfs&order=date_desc
https://www.etsy.com/shop/Handmadepetbedding?ref=l2-shopheader-name
If you find a shop you like, I recommend checking out if they have a fb page. For both of the shops I linked, they have more discounts, and sometimes freebies!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.