Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

crazy gansta pig bit my sweet muffin

Hi all! Today while I was out, some gansta pig bit my sweet muffin, Martha White kind of on her lip/nose area (I have an idea which of her frenemies it was) Now there's a little flap of skin hanging off. I'm not sure if neosporin is a good idea since its so close to her mouth/nose. Does anyone have experience with this type of injury?

Thanks
    Thanks
    43 Rec'd/35 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

Re: crazy gansta pig bit my sweet muffin

Don't use neosporin on an area that close to the mouth. How much of a "flap of skin" are we talking about? Is it something that could prevent her from eating properly? Pictures would be helpful if you can get them.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I tried to post a pic from my phone and it didn't work. The flap isn't interfering with her eating and it doesn't seem to bother her even though it's pretty deep. We cleaned it out well and I put just a little neosporin as a barrier because bits of hay and poop were stuck inside and I didn't want it to happen again. She probably could have used stitches but by the time I had help to clean it out, our only local cavy vet was closed.

Thanks
    Thanks
    43 Rec'd/35 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by peanutmommy View Post
    I tried to post a pic from my phone and it didn't work. The flap isn't interfering with her eating and it doesn't seem to bother her even though it's pretty deep. We cleaned it out well and I put just a little neosporin as a barrier because bits of hay and poop were stuck inside and I didn't want it to happen again. She probably could have used stitches but by the time I had help to clean it out, our only local cavy vet was closed.
    Be VERY careful how much neosporin you apply to that area because bacitracin (an active ingredient in neosporin) is toxic to guinea pigs if ingested. A very tiny amount probably won't hurt her, but don't reapply it too often. Personally, I wouldn't use it at all for a wound near the mouth. I'm not sure whether or not it's safe to use a dab of vaseline or something to help keep it clean from hay and debris... I would think the best option to keep it clean for now would simply be to flush the area with water or saline on a regular basis.

If it's really a deep wound, I would take her to the cavy vet to get it checked out. The mouth/nose area is a hard area to do stitches, but the vet may be able to provide a safe oral antibiotic to prevent infection or give you advice on how to keep the area clean until it heals.

User Tag List