Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Loss Sudden death, should I get another pig?

justamirage

Cavy Gazer
Hey guys,

I've seen a few posts here before and decided to make an account with the most recent events. Last night one of my pigs in a bonded pair of males died. I think it was an Upper Respiratory Infection, as I noticed he was breathing kinda strangely yesterday. I took off work today to take him to the vet but woke up and he was dead.

I'm not sure how old either of them were, as I rescued them last year from my girlfriends relatives who were NOT taking care of them well. They had an awful cage life back then. The one that passed away was always a bit more sluggish compared to the other one, but he could've just been older for what I know. I'm not sure what I should do at this point. I'm not entirely sure if I want to get another pig at this point, yet I don't want my current pig to live out the rest of his life alone. I know that guinea pigs are best in groups, so I would feel bad leaving him alone. What should I do? Has anyone had this same circumstance?

Thanks!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
First of all, I am so sorry for your loss. May your little man rest in peace.

Many of us have been in this same circumstance. I found myself in your position a couple of years ago, when my oldest boar Pooper passed away unexpectedly. I was devastated, but I knew Sly shouldn't be alone and a week later I brought home two baby boys, just three weeks old.

Sly took to them like a duck to water. I had read about boar trios failing more often than not, and I took a chance because Sly was a senior (5 at the time) and they were just babies whom I hoped would bond with him. It was fantastic for about 5 months, and then the proverbial crap hit the fan.

In retrospect, I should have tried to rescue another single boar in my area who may have been around the same age, and there was a year and a half difference between Pooper and Sly. I also wasn't sure I wanted more pigs because losing Pooper hurt so badly that I didn't want to perpetuate it. But Sly had to come first.

Now, Sly has recently passed and I still have the two babies (2 years old, now). I can't imagine life without them. Although Pooper and Sly are still daily in my mind, the young ones are a joy.

All in all, it's up to you. Will your pig survive alone? Probably, but some pigs take loss and loneliness very hard and can end up giving up themselves. Your lone boy would definitely do better with a buddy, but you already know that.

justamirage

Cavy Gazer
If I were to get another pig, how old of one should I get? Where should I get them from? I think there's a rescue somewhere around where I live that might have a few guinea pigs.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If I were to get another pig, how old of one should I get? Where should I get them from? I think there's a rescue somewhere around where I live that might have a few guinea pigs.

How old is entirely up to you. It all depends on what you feel is best. Your pig may bond more readily with a very young one, but that means you'll find yourself at some point with a lone boar again. Determining the age of a guinea pig is difficult.

If your boy is older, you may find that another older boar bonds well with him. Check out your local rescues. But if the boars you find are already bonded, don't break them up. The rescue probably wouldn't allow it anyway, and definitely don't try a boar trio. See if your rescues will let you bring your pig in to meet some other boars, and try to pick his own buddy.

We always advocate rescues as the means for adopting pigs, so my recommendation is a rescue as your place of choice for getting a new fella.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.