Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

Unhappy Wrongly Sexed Baby Guinea Pig Predicament

I recently (as in Saturday, October 27) got two 3 week old guinea pig siblings. They were both supposed to be females but after seeing some weird behaviors (not cuddling, rumbling, what I thought was bullying from the actual female), I checked and sure enough had a male and female. Luckily the female is too young to be mature enough. I diveded the 2x3 cage in half (1x3) to separate them.
    I?m in a predicament now. Do I keep them separated until February, when the male can be neutered? I don?t want them distressed by seeing and hearing the other, but never being able to play or cuddle. I know it?s temporary but they don?t. I?m already attached to both Apple (F) and Caramel (M). They?re cuties and have beautiful colors.
    Or should I give up the male to a rescue and get another young female? Although I won?t be able to do that until Thanksgiving when I go home from college (this area I?m in has no guinea pigs needing a home).
    It would only be 4 months of separation but I really want what?s best for them.
    What do you all recomend?

Thanks
    Thanks
    484 Rec'd/410 Posts
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    230 Post(s)

Re: Wrongly Sexed Baby Guinea Pig Predicament

Are they currently acting distressed from being in a split cage? If not you might just be able to wait and see what happens, just make sure your females half of the cage has a lid on it, guinea pigs can be surprisingly good at climbing when they want to and the last thing you want is the male climbing over to the female in a couple weeks time. Also if you put a lid across the whole cage or if the lid has to have a bit of a lip going into the males side make sure to have something to lock it down like some clips as a climbing guinea pig will be able to use their nose while climbing to push up a lid to still be able to climb over to the other side.

Also make sure your divider is baby-proofed as young guinea pigs can also squeeze through or attempt to squeeze through surprisingly small gaps when they want to and you also don't want them to get onto the same side that way or to get stuck while attempting something like that.

As I see it your current options are, wait until the male is old enough to be neutered then wait the three weeks post neuter and then re-introduce the two. Adopt a second sow for the female and still have the male alone until he is old enough to neuter and introduce after the post neuter waiting period and have a trio at the end. Get two completely separate cages and adopt one more sow and one more boar for two completely separate same sexed pairs. See if there are any spayed sows around your home town, if there is adopt a spayed sow to be a companion for the boy, and a different sow to be a companion for the girl, either keep them as two separate pairs or still go ahead with the neuter and attempt to introduce them all and have a herd of 4 at the end. Your final option is rehome one and adopt a companion for the remaining one.

No matter what you chose to do it would help your current situation if you could expand the cage a bit to give them each a little more room for now while you work things out.

Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

Thank you for the reply! I am a college student in a student apartment. I had to make room for the cage I have now so more cages or a bigger one at this moment is not an option. My guinea pigs seem too big to fit in between the grids but I still layered them to make the grids smaller. I will add a lid soon.
    Since I?ve posted this and was concerned yesterday, they seem to be doing fine now. They were really distressed when I first separated them so I was worried they?d continue being distressed.
    I will see how this continues to go. I?m really considering neutering him when it?s time and reintroducing them the few weeks after. Neutering is $140 where I?m from and that?s not where I wanted to spend $140 originally. Maybe I?ll get a nice amount of Christmas money...

Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Candalalala View Post
    I recently (as in Saturday, October 27) got two 3 week old guinea pig siblings. They were both supposed to be females but after seeing some weird behaviors (not cuddling, rumbling, what I thought was bullying from the actual female), I checked and sure enough had a male and female. Luckily the female is too young to be mature enough.
    So turns out they’re about a month old. A little older than I originally thought.... I hope I separated them in time.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,171 Rec'd/5,709 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3743 Post(s)

Probably in time. The little boys are sexually mature several days before the girls, so maybe you dodged a bullet.

User Tag List