Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Much? Am I feeding enough?

spacecat111

Cavy Slave
I usually give them 2 leaves of lettuce in the morning and at night and they wheek when I walk past their room or am moving in their room. Is this normal or am I under feeding? I do give them cilantro and peppers switching every day. I know they need a cup each... I?ll give them more for now but will also look forward to replies

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Your cavies wheek because they are hungry!

I formerly fed my cavies morning and evening, but it became a problem in that it was almost impossible to have someone come in twice a day in the event that we were out of town for a couple of days. When we got our current boys, they were babies and knew nothing but hay and pellets. We decided to feed once a day in the late afternoon/early evening. By feeding at this time, they are quite satisfied and sleep through the night. We feed a large salad that generally consists of spring mix, peppers, green beans, and red cabbage or radicchio. They sometimes get a snack of corn husks, dandelion or other favorites around 3pm.

Because I feed veggies only once per day, I feel that they should have access to pellets 24/7 as well as unlimited hay. And, it's just too long for them to go overnight and half the day with no pellets. My boys maintain a stable weight and rarely wheek for food unless it is approaching the dinner hour. I'm not adverse to "tough love" and rarely feed them earlier than dinner time even if they are restless and begging. Cavies need a predictable routine and come to depend on a regular feeding time whenever possible. You probably should experiment and see what schedule works for both you AND your cavies.

spacecat111

Cavy Slave
It is a little difficult considering I have school and work but I might consider changing it to a big dinner around 3-5pm. When I feed them it's typically a range of time due to my crazy work and college schedule but I manage. Thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They need the peppers, or another veggie high in vitamin C, every day. Cavies can't make their own, and they need a steady supply from their food.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.