Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Introducing 2 new pigs! Help!

Alex25

Cavy Gazer
Hello!

So I have had my first pig Milkshake for aprox 1 year. She is a 3-4 year old sow who has lived alone her whole life. Now that I am at a point where I am able to provide her with the space she needs I resuced another piggy, Merida, a 6 mon-1 year old sow. I have had the girls side by side for about a week or so getting them used to each other. We have had a couple meetings, all on neutral ground. For the most part they have gone ok, aside from a few scuffles. Nothing major, no blood. My biggiest concern is when will I know when they are ready to move in together permantly? I would really like to avoid any fights or issues!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Here's the best way to go about it. Read this thoroughly before you start :

https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

Make sure you have plenty of time to dedicate to this. Like, a Saturday or a Sunday during the day would be perfect.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
And don't put them together and then separate them. You're only hindering the adjustment process. Guinea pigs are wired to establish dominance, and when they're separated and put back together, they start all over again from square one.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.