Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance "Bonded" Pair of male pigs now fighting

Maus1

Cavy Gazer
Two weeks ago I got two older male guinea pigs from a rescue. At the rescue they were bonded and got along fine. They have also been fine since I have brought them home. A little bit of chasing, but nothing that was super concerning to me. Last night they started squeaking very loud and running around. When I turned the light on they were trying to mount each other. I figured they would be able to figure it out themselves and went to sleep on the couch. When I came back in the morning they were still trying to mount each other and still trying to bite. The only difference is that last night it was only Gusgus trying to mount. This morning they both were. I separated them because I was worried about them hurting one another without someone there to keep an eye on them. I am unsure if I should try and put them back together tonight or not.

Their cage is a C&C. It is L shaped. Two grids wide and 4 long on the long side and 2 on the short side. (When I divide it it makes two 2x4 cages if that makes sense).

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Don't separate them -- you're just interfering with the adjustment process. You only separate if blood is flowing.

And since you've had them separated all day, you need to do reintroductions and put them back in a clean cage. See https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html.

Remove any hideys that have only one door, and make sure there's no place in the cage where one of them can trap the other. Hanging a couple of pieces of fleece at staggered intervals breaks up the sight lines, and may encourage less squabbling.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.