Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sneezing guinea pig sneezing and congested

kwise77

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone!!
I?m hoping some of you might have some advice or have seen something similar in your guinea pigs that night help my little girl out.
Ill start with a little background: I rescued Merry and Pippin at the end of August and from the time they came home They would sneeze every once in a while, especially Merry. On I believe October 5th merry started to make weird clicking noises that sounded a little deeper than her usual ?voice? so I didn?t want to take any chances and took them to the vet that same day. She checked their lungs and got their temperatures and didn?t see anything alarming, but just them sneezing and that sound Merry was making worried her that it was the beginning of a URI. So they both went on Baytril for a week. During the Baytril merry still sneezes every once in a while but it wasn?t alarming to me as it had been as much as she did since she got home. They have now been of antibiotics for around two weeks, and tonight I noticed Merry sneezed about two or three times in a very short timespan, maybe an hour. So I took note just to keep a closer eye on her. They both have been eating Timothy hay and their pellets and fresh veggies very normally. All of a sudden I was sleeping and I heard a very weird sound coming from their cage that I didn?t recognize, and I realized it was one of the pigs breathing when I went to the cage. It was Merry, sounding VERY congested. Like she was breathing with a stuffy nose. I panicked and pulled her out of the cage and as soon as I picked her up she sneezed two times, the second being really big and snot actually flying onto her whiskers and even on me. I put her in her blanket and held her for a little while and she breathed that way maybe about another ten minutes, and then completely stopped. Now she?s breathing normally again. I put Pippin in a separate cage that had been completely sanitized and also cleaned the cage that merry was already in, so they?re now separated but the cages are by each other so they can see each other and talk. I use fleece bedding in their cage also. I fed her one of her favorite oxbow vitamin C supplements and she ate a piece of bell pepper just fine. She doesn?t have any discharge from her eyes or nose, just the snot when she sneezed. I?ve already called the vet, it?s now 4:35 am here and I called them an hour ago hoping I can come in and have merry looked at when they open. I?m just wondering if there is anything other than a URI that this could be? I?ve read about guinea pigs sneezing from things as simple as dusty hay, and I do think the hay might be a little dusty possibly, but I just don?t think it would cause such congested and deep breathing. But I also am wondering could this be a different disease that would make her sneeze and breath like that every once in a while without showing really any other symptoms? I?m just freaking out here I?ve cried several times this morning wondering what I could be doing wrong. Please ask me any questions that might help you give me some answers, id really appreciate it.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She needs a good exotic vet, ASAP. She is very, very congested. That has all the sounds of a URI, and it sounds to me like all the rounds of antibiotics haven't gotten rid of it yet. She may have a resistant strain, and sometimes pigs require longer durations of antibiotics to completely get rid of an infection. Your vet could also try a different antibiotic.

That said, get her in as quickly as you can. If she still has an appetite and is eating, drinking and acting normally, there is still time. You already know how quickly pigs can go downhill, so prompt treatment will be essential here. Don't wait.

I wouldn't worry about separating them. They'll both just be miserable without each other, and they're both on antibiotics. Pippin is already thoroughly exposed, anyway.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, get her to a good exotic vet. The Baytril may not have been effective against the organism that caused the problem, so she may need something else.

FYI, more people will read your posts if you'll break them into double spaced paragraphs. Many people will just skip "wall of text" posts because it's too hard to figure out what's the really important info in them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.