Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Adding a kitchen to a cage that uses bedding instead of fleece?

Artemis01

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone! New guinea pig mom here. My husband and I just adopted a 1.5 year old sow from a rescue (and are in the process of looking for a friend for her!) and I had a question about adding a kitchen to the cage.

I haven't owned guinea pigs since I was a child so I'm still learning, but I've noticed that our pig mostly uses the bathroom in the corner of her cage where the hay, food and water is. We are using wood pellets as bedding. Because we live in an apartment and do our laundry at a laundromat, we probably won't be considering fleece as bedding.

What I wanted to know is if anyone who uses disposable bedding has used a kitchen area to try and keep the cage cleaner. I was wondering if I could buy a Cavy Cafe from the store and just change that bedding more frequently, while leaving the rest of it alone a bit longer, so we don't have to spend $10-$15 each week cleaning out the entire cage.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you use wood pellets, you don't need to change the entire cage weekly. Just stir them up. You can scoop out any piles of poop, but just mix the other in. It will dry out with no odor at all.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.