Thanks
    Thanks
    680 Rec'd/587 Posts
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)

Quality of Bluegrass Hay

I was wondering if anyone has recently ordered the Bluegrass Hay from KMS Hayloft and if so, can you tell me if the quality was good? Within the past few months, I have purchased hay from different sellers and have been so disappointed in the condition of the hay. While I certainly understand that the quality of the hay is dependent on many things including the weather I still get upset when I spend so much money and end up with nothing but a box of brown stems.

A few weeks ago I purchased hay from SPS and although I have always been so pleased with their hay this particular batch was just terrible. It was mostly brown and my pigs just wouldn't eat it. I then made a trip to the pet store and purchased a bag of Oxbow. From what I could see in the bag the hay looked pretty nice but once I got it home I found most of it to be hard and more straw-like than hay-like.

I am becoming so frustrated with trying to purchase decent hay and having to throw most of it away.

I thought I would try KMS Bluegrass but I first wanted to get an opinion from anyone who has made a recent purchase. I've purchased Bluegrass in the past and found it to be pretty decent. My pigs seem to like the softer varieties of hay.

I most likely will try KMS again but I thought I'd ask before I make another purchase.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,538 Rec'd/1,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    585 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1142 Post(s)

Re: Quality of Bluegrass Hay

I was a staunch customer of KMS and their bluegrass hay for years. I virtually gave up on them after a couple of bad experiences with the owner avowing that the hay was "lush and green" only to order it and receive a batch that was at least 25% brown......which was not acceptable to me or my cavies. Since my husband is allergic to timothy, I went to orchard grass as an alternative.

I'm disappointed that Sierra Valley discontinued their online sales as I was always happy with the quality. And, I appreciate that they were up front if the quality was less than the best for a particular crop. At least one had the option to buy or not with that caveat in mind. You are absolutely right........the quality varies a great deal depending on the weather that year.

I recently ordered 40lbs of orchard grass from SPS and am quite pleased with the quality. The boys have given their resounding approval which is what really matters.

I don't need hay anytime soon, but would also like to hear from others who have used KMS since the ownership changed......or did it? Their website needs some work to make it more user-friendly.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2024 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3768 Post(s)

Linda no longer owns KMS, and the new owners aren't doing a very good job with the website. I've ordered pellets since the change of ownership and had no problems, but I switched to SPS hay quite a while ago.

Thanks
    Thanks
    680 Rec'd/587 Posts
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)

@spy9doc, thanks so much for taking the time to reply. The bad hay that I received was orchard grass from SPS. Fortunately, I had only purchased a 10# box. I'm so glad that your 40# box was decent. I wonder if the larger boxes might be of a better quality. I am usually so happy with all of the hay that I have purchased from SPS. I guess I just received a bad batch. I haven't decided yet if I am going to purchase the bluegrass from KMS. If I do I will post again and let everyone know the quality of it.

I agree with bpatters about the website from the new KMS owners. It doesn't seem to be as user-friendly as when Linda ran the company. I also purchased a 10# bag of pellets recently and although I did not have any problem with the order I didn't like that the bag was not marked with the type of pellets it contained. I knew they were timothy by the way they looked since I've been buying them for years. I'm sure it was just an oversight but still, they really need to be careful with small mistakes like that.

Thanks
    Thanks
    16 Rec'd/16 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

I think you should give SPS another go, especially if you've only had one bad batch. I exclusively purchase Oxbow orchard grass and after buying many 40oz bags, I can say that I've only had one bag that was poor quality. I recently got a 50lb box of orchard grass and on the inside there was a note that said something along the lines of: " since there's more hay there's a larger chance that there's bad hay inside too". Not sure if it's like that for all brands of hay though! I think two bad batches would be my limit.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    I was a staunch customer of KMS and their bluegrass hay for years. I virtually gave up on them after a couple of bad experiences with the owner avowing that the hay was "lush and green" only to order it and receive a batch that was at least 25% brown......which was not acceptable to me or my cavies. Since my husband is allergic to timothy, I went to orchard grass as an alternative.

I'm disappointed that Sierra Valley discontinued their online sales as I was always happy with the quality. And, I appreciate that they were up front if the quality was less than the best for a particular crop. At least one had the option to buy or not with that caveat in mind. You are absolutely right........the quality varies a great deal depending on the weather that year.

I recently ordered 40lbs of orchard grass from SPS and am quite pleased with the quality. The boys have given their resounding approval which is what really matters.

I don't need hay anytime soon, but would also like to hear from others who have used KMS since the ownership changed......or did it? Their website needs some work to make it more user-friendly.
    Hey so I'm new to this site I saw what you were referring to and I can totally relate. My alleles have been terrible. I feel like I too am allergic to all haha. What do you recommend? I recently bought compacted orchard grass from Petco usually it's ok but it was super Dusty and working a day my allergies were terrible. Now I'm looking where else to order from. My rabbits only ate half of the hay too which is strange for them.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2024 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3768 Post(s)

Pet store hay is the driest, dustiest, most expensive hay you can buy. It's at least two to three times as expensive, per pound, as hay that you order online, and many times more expensive than anything you can get from a local farmer.

American Pet Diner has the best hay I've ever used, but it's also slightly more expensive than Small Pet Select, which is what I usually use.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Awesome ok thanks. The only thing that works ATM Is meadow hay by rosewood naturals but I know it's not a permanent solution (now sold at Walmart). So far is easy enough on the allergies but I'm looking for something nicer. Thanks for your recommendation. I think most hays are way overpriced. I'd grow my own if I could since seeds are way more affordable. But anything to get rid of these allergies. The orchard grass hay I used in small amounts seemed to make my allergies worse or equal to Timothy. The meadow hay is nice but it's also a dust free compressed one (as I mentioned from Walmart). I bought an air purifier today it doesn't include kills but it does pollen dust and animal dander so I think I'm good. Like guinea pigs I keep my rabbits indoors all year long and they're litter trained. I felt silly joining the site but found a lot of the information relatable. Even the whole peeing in the bowl thing. My female rabbit just did that yesterday and I was like what the heck? XD what hay is best for people very sensitive like myself (I used to tolerate hay really well then one day it just went nuts). For now it's just this meadow stuff. I've heard there's also oat and another one that starts with a j or b. Then another called bluegrass which I heard it's a type of orchard hybrid? Then clover haybbutni haven't seen it for sale.

User Tag List