Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior A Mellow Piggy, Personality or Symptom?

jewelgirl94

Cavy Slave
I've had my first piggies for about a month now and I'm starting to get to know them better. One, Tonks, is very active and outgoing and she's really warming up to me; she squeaks all the time and she likes to sit on my shoulder and will sometimes chatter in my ear.

My other one, Minerva (Minnie for short) still spends a lot of her time in their hides. When I have her out for lap time she just sits there, and during floor time she doesn't explore much.

A few days ago I added a snuggle sack into their cage because it's all of a sudden gotten colder, and my parents won't turn the heat on yet so I was worried the piggies were cold, but now I've only seen Minnie out of the sack once or twice. I'm worried she could be sick, or that it's too cold for her, but I'm hoping that she's just taking her time warming up to her new environment and she'll be exploring and playing like her sister.

Should I do anything for her, or is she fine how she is?

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
As long as she's eating, drinking and maintaining weight and not showing any obvious symptoms of illness (sneezing, coughing, runny nose, weight loss, etc), I wouldn't worry, especially since you haven't known her very long yet. It can take a long time for some pigs to settle in and start showing their true personality, and until then you have no way of knowing whether their behavior or activity level are "normal." It's quite possible that Minnie's just a very mellow pig. She may also just be taking her time to adjust like you say.

And it's not at all unusual for some pigs to just want to hide most of the time. I had a sow named Flower whom I called my "turtle-pig" because she always wanted to be under a hidey. She was sweet and affectionate, but she'd stretch her body out as far towards me as she could without actually coming out from underneath her hide. lol

jewelgirl94

Cavy Slave
They do sneeze sometimes, but I don't know who's doing the sneezing because I never seem to catch it. I also don't know how much sneezing would be too much, but I'm not too worried about it right now because it's just an occasional sneeze. I do need to get a scale so that I can keep track of their weight just in case something does happen in the future, though!

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
Occasional sneezing is fine, as long as it doesn't become constant. Amazon has some kitchen scales for under $20. You'll want one that can accurately weight 5 lbs and it's best to get one that weighs in both grams and ounces.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.