Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General URI?

helennhazel

Cavy Slave
okay so i recently took in 3 guinea pigs that i could tell were neglected.

a male, & two females all caged in a cage probably smaller than a 2x1.... with newspaper as bedding, and a corn cob to nibble on...

they were supposedly together for 3 weeks and the male ?never romanced the females? according to the previous owner

i quickly separated the male & rehomed him to a great home

one of the girls has me worried and has since day one - we call her loucille

loucille is so sweet, totally loves cuddles, but she doesn?t have a voice????

she has never squeeked, chirpped, squealed, nothing! since the day I got her, about 2-3 weeks ago???

she eats & drink her hard food, hay, and veggies but doesn?t make ANY noise

the only time I sorta heard her was when it sounded like she was trying to squeak but sounded more like wheezing???

what could be wrong with her?

also, both girls are probably pregnant, after being with a male for 3 +\- weeks ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helennhazel

Cavy Slave
anyone??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thank you for taking in these sweet little ones.

Your little girl sounds like she hasn't really had much of a reason to wheek for some time. As a consequence, her "wheeker" so to speak, likely doesn't work very well if at all any more.

Both of my original boys, as they got older, were spoiled little pigs. They knew when to expect their treats and as such, didn't bother to wheek for them any more. Wheeking was VERY infrequent from both of them in their later years, and it wasn't much of a wheek for either of them when they did do it. More of a rusty PFFFFFFT sound.

The last year of Sly's life, he found his wheeker every now and again, and it was SUCH an endearing thing to hear. It was very raspy and rusty, but he put a lot of gusto into it and we KNEW it was him. We just knew how happy he was when we heard it. Little moments that I now treasure very much.

Maybe, just maybe, with continued love and care from you she will find her wheeker again. If everything else seems normal, eating and output are ok, she's energetic and not wheezing or puffed up in a corner, I think you have nothing to worry about.

As for being pregnant, if they were with a male for three plus weeks, I think you have to safely assume that both are pregnant. That means you're on pup watch!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.