Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Many? My guinea pig just gave birth to babies and it started eating them.

ejules889

Cavy Slave
So my guinea pig just gave birth to two babies. They aren't alive though, they're light pink in color. Before this, I was cleaning out its cage. And just observing it, and then I saw two pink things come out its butt. After this, its started eating them. Even when I put hay in front of it ignored it and continued eating it. Should I bring it to a vet?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, I don't think you need to take the pig to a vet. Do remove the dead babies, though. Guinea pigs don't usually eat stillborn pups, but new mothers sometimes go beyond cleaning the sac off the pups.

I hope you're not allowing your guinea pigs to breed. Pregnancy and delivery of full-term pups is very hard on both the sows and the pups, and the death rate is high. Guinea pigs are also prone to several genetic diseases, some of which cause blindness, deafness, and/or lifelong pain.

ejules889

Cavy Slave
Oh okay. Also we just got it from the store and it gave birth today, and we just got the one. But when I try to go near it it covers it and doesn't let me near it. I was gonna give it a day to rest and then I was gonna clean out all the blood and stuff

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Go ahead and clean up. You're a full-sized human, this is a two pound pig. You're in charge. Clean the cage before infection develops.

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
It sounds like they were very premature pups (full term guinea pig babies are born fully furred with eyes open, etc.) and that she had a miscarriage essentially. It can be difficult for first time mothers especially to differentiate between placental tissue and a premature pup.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.