Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Kitchen gets gross??

BubbleyBliss

Cavy Slave
Hi!

We have a pair of boy guinea pigs in a 2x4 with a 1x2 kitchen. It's a c&c cage with a home made chloroplast kitchen. The problem is, the boys make such a mess that their kitchen floor gets super gross and stained.

We use fleece in the main part of the cage, and shavings in the kitchen. They also have a huge amount of hay in their kitchen to play/sleep/eat in. I try to make sure to scoop out wet bedding and refresh 1-2 times a week, and we strip a d are clean the whole cage once a week. It never gets stinky and ammonia-y.

When we cleaned the kitchen today, the bottom of the kitchen was stained and gross. Have others had trouble with this? I couldn't fully scrub it clean. Have others had trouble with urine staining the chloroplast? Is there a better option that the coro kitchen? I've been looking for a cat litter pan or storage box I could try ... but nothing the right size yet. (I use cement tubs and starlite containers in our ratties' critter nation cage instead of the shelves and theyre great....wondering if theres a similar trick for piggies?)

Thanks in advance
LeeAnna

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
What do you use to clean the coroplast? I've found that a solution of water and white vinegar works pretty well for cleaning off pee. Or maybe you could try switching the bedding in the kitchen to something more absorbent? Wood shavings are cheap, but I never felt like they absorbed urine very well. I used Carefresh for my kitchen area and felt like it really helped keep things cleaner.

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
My cage gets stained with urine in high-traffic areas and I've never had a problem wiping it off with a vinegar/water mix. I don't have a kitchen but I do have a 1x3 fleece forest where they pee and poop 99% of the time. To keep the area clean I've made a variety of different 1x3 liners that I switch out daily, while I only clean the entire cage once a week. Maybe you can make some small 1x2 liners that you can switch out daily for the kitchen?

BubbleyBliss

Cavy Slave
I keep a vinegar/water spray for all cage cleaning purposes....

Maybe the shavings just aren't absorbent enough. I'll try spot cleaning more often and see how it goes... it's just hard to do when they have a mountain of hay. :)

I'm contemplating buying a kitchen off the cages site.... but need to make sure we have a routine or set up or whatever to know they won't destroy it.

Thanks for the feedback!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I've used white coroplast for years, and have never had trouble with staining. I just wipe it down with a 50% vinegar-water solution.

LunarOrca

Cavy Gazer
Hello,
I'm actually looking at making a Coroplast kitchen as well. Did you follow a plan or some sort of online instructions? I'd appreciate any help you can offer. My boys currently live in a midwest cage (they are still pretty young) and I'd like to make the kitchen ~12in x 24in I think (similar in size to yours).
Thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.