Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Introducing my two boars, need help

Hello! My oldest boar is five years old and my second boar is 4 years old. They've lived in a glorified litter box for way too long. I recently moved and have enough space to make them a C&C cage! It's all set up and ready to go but I'm unsure where to introduce them. Do I introduce them in a pen with veggies and hay or can I just put them into their cage with veggies and hay and let them do their thing?

They have enough space. I've made them a 2x5 cage. I've tried to introduce them once before, years and years ago but it did not go well at all. They fought and I seperated them. It's not like I wouldve had enough space to house them together anyway but now I do!

If they fight again this time should I seperate them or let it happen? I'm so anxious. This is the first time I've ever tried to bond piggies. Any tips would help!

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,157 Rec'd/5,695 Posts
    Mentioned
    2009 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3725 Post(s)

Re: Introducing my two boars, need help

Here's the bible on introductions: https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Oh thank you! I read it all and I guess tomorrow morning I will be doing a buddy bath and setting up a big pen in my room.

Is it okay if only one pig has been in the room once before? On Tuesday someone accidentally dropped ketchup on my pig who cannot groom himself anymore due to health reasons. I gave him a bath and let him dry up on a towel in my room. He was there for probably 30 minutes, it was the only time he was ever in the room and today I completely rearranged my room to fit their cage. Would it okay to hold their introductions there?

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I introduced them and they did well. I have them in their cage earlier with cilantro and hay spread out around the cage and they were walking around and eating but now I made them a kitchen area and moved all the food to there only and the younger one (chestnut) has claimed it as his and anytime the older boar (pig) tries to eat, he chases him away. Is this normal? Is there any way I can help?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,157 Rec'd/5,695 Posts
    Mentioned
    2009 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3725 Post(s)

You shouldn't divide up the cage with a kitchen area at this point. Leave it open, with piles of food and hay in different places. and only two hideys (or fleece forests) in there. Make sure the hideys have two doors. You want to let them get thoroughly used to each other before they have to begin crowding into a kitchen, and you don't want one pig to hog all the food.

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Okay I didn't know. I will take out the kitchen and put small piles of hay around. Their fleece forest is just on one side like a rectangle. Should I make seperate fleece forests or just leave it as it so they can be together?

Thanks
    Thanks
    16 Rec'd/16 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

I would personally make another fleece forest! My boars really didn't like each other for the first month I owned them so I had 2 forests. They each claimed one and basically lived there, . Now that they get along better I have a giant 1x3 forest that they share. They have additional hiding places as well, such as fleece tunnels and a Timothy tunnel. Maybe you can place the forests at different sides of the cage.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,157 Rec'd/5,695 Posts
    Mentioned
    2009 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3725 Post(s)

Ditto @Snugglybutt. Your goal at this point is co-existence without war, not friendly cooperation. Don't rush things. Just let them adjust to each other on their own terms.

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Thank you both for the advice! I've put in a one grid fleece tunnel and a 1x2 fleece tunnel on opposite ends. Theyre slowly getting to like each other. It's my first time so I thought this would be a much quicker process! Lol I'll try to be more patient with them

User Tag List