Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Wet Bum?

• Thread starter butterflylover5
  • Start date

butterflylover5

Cavy Slave
Skye (1 yr old female) has a wet bum. No sign of diarrhea on her or in the cage at all. Seems to be eating and drinking normally. Breathing every so slightly harder than I usually see. I called my vet right away but the only doctor that sees guinea pigs is out for the rest of the day and I have to call in the morning to see if I can get an appointment.

I know there's a pretty serious sickness with wet bum but I can't find it, but I think it has more to do with diarrhea?

I have some emergency vets about an hour away from me and I'm going to start researching to see if any of them take guinea pigs (which I now realized I should have looked up before this happened)

Opinion...should I take her to the emergency vet, or wait to call in the morning for her regular vet?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You don't want an emergency vet -- they often know NOTHING about guinea pigs. What you need is a good exotic vet. Don't waste money on small animal (dog and cat) vets, as they get little to no training in the care of exotics.

If she's leaking urine, she may have a stone or a bladder infection.

butterflylover5

Cavy Slave
You don't want an emergency vet -- they often know NOTHING about guinea pigs. What you need is a good exotic vet. Don't waste money on small animal (dog and cat) vets, as they get little to no training in the care of exotics.

If she's leaking urine, she may have a stone or a bladder infection.

Okay, thank you! I love my regular exotic pet, I've taken all of my guinea pigs, hamsters, and chinchillas to him and he's great! I found an emergency clinic that does take guinea pigs, but I think for tonight I'll keep an eye on her and call the regular vet in the morning. Thank you!

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Are you thinking of wet tail with hamsters? If so, guinea pigs don't get wet tail.

If her bottom is wet with pee and it's the first time this has happened, I wouldn't rush to the vet. Check her cage where she normally lays and see if there's an issue in absorbency. I don't know what bedding you use, but I have had pigs before who have pulled up their fleece liner in a corner, peed on the plastic and subsequently had wet bottoms.

There could be a very benign explanation for her issue. However, if you cannot fund a reason for it, or it persists, then a vet visit should be in order.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Is she always wet or did you notice it a few times and others she is dry? Mine gets anxious when I try to pick her up and if she runs away to avoid me, she is sometimes wet when I pick her up. I think it’s fear. She gets scared, backs into a corner and pees, and tries to avoid being picked up.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.