Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Goodbye Butterscotch.

Kohlt22

Cavy Gazer
I am 22 years old and I never expected something like a guinea pig to make such a large impact on me. I have tons of fish, 2 very large dogs, but Butterscotch was my spoiled baby. The first to greet me when I walk in the door with a squeaky chirp loud as a police siren standing on two feet just waiting to be picked up. I don?t understand how or why she passed away. Aprox 11pm tonight my wife woke me up to tell me that something was wrong & butterscotch was laying down spread out, leaning towards her side (she never stops running or standing.). She wasn?t able to move much below her neck, although it appeared she would have spasms of some kind because her paws would curl and her arms would stretch. With my finger tip I could feel her heartbeat was quicker then it normally is, but not racing fast. She also felt really cold and light which I thought was strange. I held her wrapped lightly in a soft blanket for almost the entire night and rubbing behind her ears and talking to her hoping that would help even just a little, even though I could just see her facial expressions show how much pain she was in. Watching her eyes water up before the final time they closed was almost to much for me to bear. She passed away around 4am. I still can?t believe it. How could something with no symptoms just happen overnight and so quick? I know she was no older than 2 years old and we had bought her at Petsmart 5-6 months ago. She has never shown any symptoms of illness. Could it possibly of been heart failure or something? I just can?t comprehend the fact she is just gone like that. I regret the past two days that I did not get her out for playtime. Life is a fragile force not to be taken for granted. The worst life lesson learned.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I'm SO sorry that you had to go through this. We can never imagine how these furry little creatures can make such an impact on our lives!

From your description, it sounds as though Butterscotch may have had a stroke, although the only way to know is to have a necropsy done. That seems to be an unnecessary expense and won't bring her back. I suspect that it was some sort of genetic defect. Their lives are far too short for we humans to comprehend. My boys are just about to turn 3 y.o. and although they are still babies to me, in reality they are becoming middle-aged men.

Fly free over the Rainbow Bridge, Butterscotch! You were obviously greatly loved. :love:

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@Kohlt22

The very first line of your post rings very close to home for me, as it would for a lot of members here.

I too, have had many different pets. Cats, dogs, fish, birds, hamsters, gerbils. Even a turtle in there somewhere. Although I loved them all dearly, none of them were as bonded with me as my pigs. When I lost the first one almost two years ago, something in me broke that has not returned, and likely never will. Another piece of my heart disappeared in August with my boy Sly.

I don't think we ever expect them to steal as much as they do, but they capture us in a way that few expect. I am so very sorry that you had to experience Butterscotch's final hours in the way that you did. She passed in your arms surrounded with all of your love , and I'm sure that brought her much comfort.

Rest in peace, Butterscotch. You were very much loved, as you did love. Go, find all your new little furry friends. You'll find the most delicious vegetables at the Rainbow Bridge.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
My sympathy to you on the loss of Butterscotch. They are such sweet little souls and yours obviously enjoyed a wonderful life with you.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry you lost Butterscotch.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I'm very sorry that Butterscotch has passed on.

Kohlt22

Cavy Gazer
Thank you for your condolences everybody. They are all very appreciated. Just remember to cherish every moment you have with your loved ones because something like this could happen at any time. May God bless all of you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.