Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sad sad Guinea Pig and new owner

Biz19

Cavy Gazer
Hello,

SO glad to have found this site and hope I can get some insight and help from experienced guinea pig owners. I recently just got 2 new guinea pigs, Bebe and Butters, both females. I purchased both at a pet store :sad: (I attempted to rescue but could not find any guineas at shelters here in Saskatoon) and Butters quickly became ill after having her for about a week and a half. Only one eye started to shut, became crusty and I noticed the ear on the same side was white and flaky, almost looking like a fungus. She is such a happy pig, always vocal and loves floor time, popcorning like crazy everytime I let them out. She was much more brave than Bebe and she really brought her out of her shell. Since I had bought them at the pet store there was a warranty and they told me that I could surrender her and get the vet care she needed, as money was tight I agreed to this so that I could save some money on the vet bills (I feel very guilty about this). They said once she is better they will let me take her home. Butters has now been gone three days and they are yet to take her to the vet (since it has been the weekend, and now saying they couldn't fit her in for an appointment). When I dropped her off she was still very active and eating and having regular stools. Since I have phoned for updates everyday they told me this afternoon that she is not moving much, and not eating as much as she should. They refuse to let me come and see her since they say she may get excited that she gets to go home and then become depressed. I am worried sick and just wondering what could be wrong with her. Her appointment is tomorrow at 10am so I suppose I will find out then. But in the meantime these last 3 days Bebe has been so scared, rarely coming out of her hidey. She has reverted back to how she was to the few short days I had her before Butters came into the picture. She is very scared of me, even when I am offering treats and not eating much. She appears healthy and I have inspected her eyes and ears and nothing seems to be wrong. She is still having normal stools as well. I think she is depressed that Butters is gone, and it could be up to two weeks before the meds are complete and the pet store will let Butters come back. Is there anything people have come across to make their piggies feel better when seperated? The pet store won't let me take Butters back until she is completely healthy as they said I have chosen to surrender her and that's the way it is. It all feels so unfair and I wish I hadn't made that mistake. Missing her so much and feeling so anxious everyday she is gone. Hopefully someone can give me some tips on how to make Bebe feel a bit better. Thanks.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I’m so sorry that this first guinea pig experience is turning into so much trouble for you. I don’t understand the surrender part of the health warranty. So you buy a guinea pig and find out it is ill. According to the warranty, you have to give it back to them with no compensation? And then if and when they decide to get a vet involved, do they give you the healthy guinea pig back or what do they do?

If Bebe seems healthy with no crusty eyes or nose and no coughing or crackling sounds, she is probably just scared from all the changes that took place in the last few weeks. She was moved a couple of times, had a friend, now she is alone, and she still doesn’t really know who you are. I would keep an eye on her health, make sure she has places to hide and feel safe, and provide plenty of fresh hay and water. Maybe pile the hay somehow so you can tell if she’s eating. I would get a vitamin C supplement (Oxbow has a good one). Cut up some fresh veggies like green peppers and some thin apple slices for treats. Talk to her and when she looks your way, drop a treat in her pen. Her curiosity should get the best of her and she’ll come out, grab a treat, and run back. Eventually she’ll figure it out and realize you’re the source of the treats.

Guinea pigs get scared pretty easily. I had mine for a whole year and one day she was under her hidey and tipped it over. It scared her so bad she sat in a corner for a day and a half and barely moved.

I’m sure others have some tips for you as well. There are very knowledgeable piggy owners out here.

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
What an unfortunate situation you're in. I really hope that Butters gets better. Have you been weighing Bebe? Weight loss is often the first sign of illness. All you can really do is offer her some veggies and hope that she becomes more comfortable with you while you wait for Butters to return. I just wanted to add that I love the names you gave your piggies.

@ItsaZoo, not sure if @Biz19 got her pigs from Petsmart, but I think they have a policy that if an animal you purchased there becomes ill within 14 days, you can simply return the animal for a refund, surrender/bring it to the store for them bring it to their own vet (pretty sure this is free and you get the animal back), or get refunded the price of the animal so you can use that cost to seek out your own vet. I have no idea if it's like that for every location though. I think the compensation is that you are saving money since you are taking advantage of that policy and receiving vet care for free. I also know smaller petstores in my area have a similar policy. My sister bought a rat who became ill shortly after and she had to "surrender" it to the petstore. The petstore kept the rat for almost 2 weeks and all medication and care supplied was free.

Last edited:

Biz19

Cavy Gazer
Thank you very much. If you read the next reply it is exactly that! 30 day warranty and they cover costs of vet bills when you surrender. They refunded me on a gift card for the cost of Butters and then I will repurchase her with that card when she is better. Thanks so much for your tips. Bebe loves apples so much and I have been trying to give her lots of fresh veggies. I have been talking to her and giving her updates about Butters telling her that she will be home in no time. I should be patient and give her time. I hope she comes around and I'm sure she will get back to her old self when Butters is home safe and sound! Thanks again.

Biz19

Cavy Gazer
Hi Snugglybutt,

Thanks! I love their names too lol . I will continue to try and offer veggies. The only thing with weighing is that she is still very young and growing constantly. She seems to be getting bigger and not smaller, but I will get her on the scale. And that is exactly how it is with the policy although at Petland they would not offer me the price of the guinea pig to seek my own vet, they said the surrender was the only way for them to do it. I will find out today though what meds she will be getting and what seems to be wrong. Really hoping she is home in a couple weeks. Thanks for your reply.

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
You got those names from South Park right? :rolleyes: Please update us when you find out what’s wrong with Butters! I would love to see pictures of your piggies whenever you have the chance to snap a few.

Biz19

Cavy Gazer
Hey!

Yes of course, haha my favourite South Park characters! So just got my update about Butters. She has an outer ear infection (they think something similar to ring worm) but they did swab and will find out what kind of infection it is. And the R eye is infected as well. So he will get ear and eye drops for 2 weeks and then be able to come home to me. She also said he was in much better spirits today after getting some fresh veggies post vet appointment I guess he was running around. I'm feeling very relieved. Just trying to figure out how to update my profile on here, was hoping to post a few! Bebe is also in great spirits today, she is currently running around and eating some lettuce while I type this. Thanks for your concern! I think Butters is officially on the mend :)

Biz19

Cavy Gazer
83B1DD97-BB9E-4454-B4D9-F0E4F971D867.jpg2991B571-1E92-408F-8DD8-6CE0D002D500.jpg6EB12D08-5B50-414C-A4F4-F472C56888DB.jpgButters is the darker fluffier one and Bebe is the little calico ��

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
That's great to hear, I'm glad that she is feeling better :) Your piggies are so cute! I love Bebe's colours. I bet they will be happy to be reunited in two weeks.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the clarification on the warranty. When they say “surrender” it reminded me of shelters where you give up ownership and that didn’t seem right. I’m so glad to hear that Butters has been diagnosed and is recovering, and that Bebe is adjusting and more active. Love the pictures!

Biz19

Cavy Gazer
Hey just an update:

Bebe's eye is now infected as well :( It was crusty and squinted this morning, and I also noticed a small growth underneath her chin. There was also a small scab directly underneath that and there was blood and pus around it. I took her in and they said it looks like they were abcesses, the one with pus had burst and the other is still growing directly under her chin. The vet I went to didnt want to lance it and treat with antibiotics because she is so small (still only 3 mo) and undergoing so many stresses lately. She was worried that it would cause her more problems/digestive problems. She is eating perfectly fine, and quite active so she said to leave it and see what happens. I'm super worried wondering if this thing will burst and she will get really sick? What do you guys think? She only started her on ofloxacin drops 1 drop to her infected eye every 6 hours for a week.

Also I phoned the pet store today, Butters eye and ear are already clearing up and I guess he has charmed everyone at the pet store, loving his pets from all the staff.

Biz19

Cavy Gazer
New sick pig

Recently got two new guinea pigs, both sick within a week and a half. I just recently noticed a small growth under my piggies chin (she is 3 mo old), underneath that there was a scabbed area with pus and blood around it. Took her to the vet and the vet said they looked like abscesses, one burst, and the other still present under her chin. My piggie is brand new and had some stresses with her being separated from her friend who is also sick and being treated for an eye and ear infection. She now is also being treated for an eye infection so the vet did not want to lance it and treat her with antibiotics because it would be very hard on her. She is eating very well, and active, doesn't seem to be bothering her. The vet told me to monitor for any changes and let her gain some weight before treating her. Should I get a second opinion? Don't know what to do for my poor little baby. Thanks

Biz19

Cavy Gazer
Re: New sick pig

657AA5EC-FECB-4D64-8DB5-1184C2E9721B.jpgThis is a photo of her chin

Attachments

09F808AB-47A9-4316-B07F-C7ACFE18D43A.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: New sick pig

You get one medical thread per pig. Please don't start new threads -- it makes it far too difficult for us to keep up with what's going on with a particular pig. I'm merging these threads.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She may have cervical lymphadenitis, which is very contagious. Did you see an exotic vet?

The cavity needs to be flushed at least a couple of times a day to get all the pus out, and to allow it to heal from the inside out. But if the cyst was encapsulated, the capsule may need to be removed.

Biz19

Cavy Gazer
She may have cervical lymphadenitis, which is very contagious. Did you see an exotic vet?

The cavity needs to be flushed at least a couple of times a day to get all the pus out, and to allow it to heal from the inside out. But if the cyst was encapsulated, the capsule may need to be removed.

Would this be a surgery for her? Seems like that would be very hard on her, she is still so little. Am I able to flush it out with saline at home? I saw a small animal veterinarian. And is it just contagious in guinea pigs? My other one is separated being treated for two weeks.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Small animal vets treat dogs and cats, and have little to no training in the care of exotics. You need to find a good exotic vet for your pigs -- you'll save time and money in the long run, and your pigs will get better care.

It could mean surgery, but it's not complicated, and in the hands of a competent vet, she should do fine.

It's contagious, period. Wash your hands and change your clothes after handling her.

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
When I first got my guinea pigs, I took them to a small animal vet, thinking that they specialized in rodents and stuff. It was a huge waste of time and money. Apparently "small animal vet" just means small cats and dogs. My pigs were the first the vet ever seen, and she didn't even know that skinny pigs existed. She was actually googling my guinea pig's symptoms because she was so perplexed, and still ended up misdiagnosing him. What you really want is either a pocket pet or exotics vet.

I hope you are able to find a good vet and that Bebe gets the treatment she needs! Good luck.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What part of Canada are you in? Someone might be able to recommend a good exotic vet.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I believe the poster is in Saskatoon... unfortunately I have no idea of any vets out that way and am not connected with any guinea pig owners who live there.

With a quick google search I found a couple veterinary clinics that may be more promising. However, these are only suggestions. I have no actual knowledge or experiences with these clinics.

I would call the University of Saskatoon's Veterinary Clinic. Canadian veterinary teaching hospitals are usually very good clinics, are quite advanced and will have legitimate board certified exotic veterinarians assisting and working with students. (broken link removed)

The other clinic I found looks like they treat exotics, I also found a reddit post of people saying they take their rabbits and chinchilla's to this clinic and are happy with their care. (broken link removed)

Whatever you do, your guinea pig needs to go see a competent vet. The vet you took them to sounds like they have little to no experience with guinea pigs. These abscesses should not be left to fester with no treatment, they need to be lanced, drained and flushed while they heal or potentially removed surgically. Also, I always like to have antibiotics with open wounds. I know you mention your pig is 3 months old but there really isn't such a thing as too young for treatment. There are safe antibiotics for young guinea pigs (bactrim or doxycycline) and there is no size restriction on lancing, draining and flushing abscesses. Age certainly shouldn't restrict you from pursing treatment and no good vet would say she is too small to be treated.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.