Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Inner dimensions confusion

Bogey62

Cavy Gazer
Hi Everyone,

I am brand new to making a C&C cage, so I have a few basic questions regarding the inner dimensions of a cage.

I am looking at the recommended grids from this website and they measure either 14" or 14.25" square, so a 2x4 cage would have an inside dimension of either 28" x 56" or 28.5" x 57".

If I cut the coroplast, according to the directions on this site, there would be a small gap between the outer edge of the coroplast and the actual cage grid, allowing for the connectors at the bottom edge, correct?

And...

If I buy (broken link removed) fleece liners:

With these dimensions:

==========
Product Dimensions
Note: GuineaDad Fleece Liner 2.0 will shrink couple inches after initial couple washes. Don't worry though, we've made the liners larger to compensate for it. The liner may still be a bit larger than the cage after the wash.
- Midwest Guinea Habitat size: cage size ~24"x47" ( 61x120cm)
- C&C 2x4 size: cage size ~27"x56" ( 69x142cm)
- C&C 2x3 size: cage size ~27"x41" ( 69x104cm)
- C&C 2x2 size: cage size ~27"x27" ( 69x69cm)
- C&C 2x1 size: cage size ~27"x14" ( 69x36cm)
==========

it looks as though they won't fit wall-to-wall inside the coroplast right from the start (before shrinkage). Other than cutting the inside dimensions of the coroplast to accommodate the fleece (after shrinkage), what other solution is there? I like these liners and really don't want to buy fleece and U-Haul pads, etc.

Thank you!

lissie

Cavy Slave
The tray that sits inside the grids is smaller than the dimensions of the cage. When you put the cage together with plastic connectors, you need a small gap between the grids and the tray to accomodate the legs (not sure how to call them) of the connectors.

See this page for more details.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/howto.htm

Bogey62

Cavy Gazer
The tray that sits inside the grids is smaller than the dimensions of the cage. When you put the cage together with plastic connectors, you need a small gap between the grids and the tray to accomodate the legs (not sure how to call them) of the connectors.

See this page for more details.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/howto.htm

Thank you for the quick response concerning the pan dimensions and clearance, but what about the pads that I have a link for? They seem to be smaller than the inner cage dimensions, yet they are made for C&C cages.

Thanks!

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I have a 2x4 cage and use the GuineaDad liners. After using them for 3 months, they still fit the cage just fine. I didn't notice any shrinkage, but then I always air dry. In fact, they are about 1" larger on each side and it just goes up the side a little.

Bogey62

Cavy Gazer
I have a 2x4 cage and use the GuineaDad liners. After using them for 3 months, they still fit the cage just fine. I didn't notice any shrinkage, but then I always air dry. In fact, they are about 1" larger on each side and it just goes up the side a little.

What grids did you buy? Also, is the pad wider now because it flattened out? Have you had any issues with them at all?

Thanks.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I got my grids for free, some from my niece, who used to have a rabbit, and some from former piggy owners through Craig's List. All of the grids are the 14" ones (see links below) and they are zip tied; I do not use connectors.

I haven't noticed that the GuineaDad liner is any wider now than when first used in June. The liners are pretty thick and since I air dry (the recommended method), it takes several days. I have 4 of those liners so I don't run out. My two girls tend to pee in the same spots, so I put fleece pee pads in those areas to keep the liners clean longer. The GuineaDad liners come in two models, one with a fleece pocket for burrowing and one without a pocket. I have the version with the pocket. While the piggies love the pocket, in hindsight, it might be better to get the one without the pocket as there is no or limited airflow in the pocket. If you do get the pocket version, you can always flip the pocket over so that it is underneath the pad. I also have pee pads in the pocket that I switch out every 3 days. Using pee pads in high travel areas is a common practice for fleece users and not just for GuineaDad liners.

Bogey62

Cavy Gazer
I got my grids for free, some from my niece, who used to have a rabbit, and some from former piggy owners through Craig's List. All of the grids are the 14" ones (see links below) and they are zip tied; I do not use connectors.

I haven't noticed that the GuineaDad liner is any wider now than when first used in June. The liners are pretty thick and since I air dry (the recommended method), it takes several days. I have 4 of those liners so I don't run out. My two girls tend to pee in the same spots, so I put fleece pee pads in those areas to keep the liners clean longer. The GuineaDad liners come in two models, one with a fleece pocket for burrowing and one without a pocket. I have the version with the pocket. While the piggies love the pocket, in hindsight, it might be better to get the one without the pocket as there is no or limited airflow in the pocket. If you do get the pocket version, you can always flip the pocket over so that it is underneath the pad. I also have pee pads in the pocket that I switch out every 3 days. Using pee pads in high travel areas is a common practice for fleece users and not just for GuineaDad liners.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...-11-spons&keywords=storage+grids+24+pack&th=1
(broken link removed)

Thank you very much for the useful insights. :)

Bogey62

Cavy Gazer
I have another question...

Why do you opt for 6" sides for the coroplast pan instead of 4"? It just seems too tall at 6". Is this only for flying poop or something?

Thanks.

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
If you're cutting the coroplast yourself, you can make the sides any height you want. The exception to this is if you have baby guinea pigs, they need (I think) 10" walls to prevent their heads getting stuck in the grids. I only have 2" sides for my cage. I've seen some cages that look to have only 1" sides. I've had 6" sides before and I didn't really like it, and poops still managed to fly out!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
It seems as though most of us do the standard 6" sides which should be fine for either babies or adults. If you need an area temporarily higher, cut extra pieces of coroplast and wedge them down between the sides of the regular "box" and the cage. They can then easily be removed at a later date. You might want to consider making the sides higher in an area where you have a litter box and/or hay bin to keep the flying debris off the floor.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I have 6" on three sides and 10" on the panel that is against the wall. Have not had piggy poops land outside of their cage, other than the ones I drop when I clean up. I got a spare C&C cage through Craig's List and that person had a very interesting setup. Her cage was built at the piggy rescue and it had a piece of plexiglass, about 4", at the front. The coroplast there had been cut down to about an inch and the plexiglass was binder clipped to the coroplast.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.