Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/4 Posts

Question about companionship

My friend's guinea pig recently had babies (a pet store sold them a pregnant female) and they were trying to give away the males. I took one of them because I recently got a third guinea pig (Gabe) and he didn't get along with my other two so I had to separate them and I figured he could use a friend. Anyhow, the new baby male I got seems to be getting along well with Gabe, but I recently called my friend and it turns out he still has one of the males left. I kind of want to take him too because I don't want my friend to give it to a shelter, but will he bond back with his brother and will they gang up on Gabe? I love guinea pigs, but I don't want problems with fighting again.

piggy_papa
    Visitor

Re: Question about companionship

Since the male has not be exposed to females, you should not have any real fighting between Gabe, baby 1, and baby 2. You will, however, have dominance spats while the piggies determine who is first, second, and third. Piggies don't "gang up". They follow the pecking order. To keep the spats to the minimum, I think the sooner you adopt the baby the better.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,146 Rec'd/634 Posts

It doesn't make a difference if the male has been exposed to a female or not.

Factors include age, cage space provided and most important is personality: http://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm

piggy_papa
    Visitor

Sorry to disagree, but adolescent males exposed to females exhibit "alpha-male" development, and are more agressive with other males. Those that are not exposed to females are more likely to form a cooperative colony.

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Ly&Pigs's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5,447 Rec'd/1,918 Posts

Sorry to disagree, but adolescent males exposed to females exhibit "alpha-male" development, and are more agressive with other males. Those that are not exposed to females are more likely to form a cooperative colony.
    That is a load of rubbish. I have had both adolescent males and females and have never seen these behaviors.

User Tag List