Thread: Is urine spraying normal for females?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Is urine spraying normal for females?

I have only owned male guineas in the past, and haven't had too many (possibly any?) problems with urine outisde their cages and the cuddle towels used when being held. But once I had a little herd of females, I started to notice one of them sprayed urine... a lot?

This has been on my mind for a few years now and two of my girls have since passed, but the one that sprayed is still doing well. Is this a normal thing for girls to do to other girls? I have only heard of males spraying, but I never expected a female to do it! I did read that females will sometimes spray males who are making unwanted "advances" towards them, but she was in an all girl group. She was the omega in that group, so could it have been a way to say "bug off"? Since the others are gone I haven't noticed her spraying pee, but sometimes if I pet her too much without giving her a treat (she was very shy when I adopted her so that's how I trained her to let me pet her) she'll lift her bum up as though she's gonna spray me! Most of the time she's just bluffing though, haha.

This isn't pertinent or anything since I just have the one girl now, but it's been on my mind since I noticed it a while back. Anybody else notice their girls spraying pee at other girls before?

As a side note, does anybody have advice for removing piggy pee from walls? Lol

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,227 Rec'd/5,757 Posts
    Mentioned
    2028 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3800 Post(s)

Re: Is urine spraying normal for females?

It's totally normal. NOT one of their more endearing traits...

You can wipe the walls with a dilute vinegar solution, but the best thing to do is to put a high piece of coroplast inside the cage wherever there's a wall.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

Re: Is urine spraying normal for females?

Yup. I've never actually experienced a male guinea pig spraying, but my spayed female has done it a few times to my male. Unfortunately/fortunately, she's not enough of an offender that I've had to master guinea pig pee cleaning skills.

User Tag List