Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Treats Frozen Treats - Watermelon and Corn Husk

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I’m trying something new to preserve a little summer! I cut up some watermelon into cubes and froze it on a cookie sheet. Once it is completely frozen I can put it in a container and Lacey can have frozen watermelon treats this winter.

I already do this with corn husks. I trim the outside leaves and the green tops in case they were sprayed. Then I tear them into strips, wash them and freeze on a cookie sheet. Once they are completely frozen I put them in zip lock bags. Then I can take out a few strips at a time so Lacey has treats all winter. Yum!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I have had similar thoughts, but just haven't done anything as yet. Question is, have you actually frozen corn husks and then thawed them? How do they hold up with the thawing?

Corn is still plentiful and my boys love the husks. We have access to some of the most delicious corn I've ever tasted and I have been freezing the kernels for us. Guess it is time to hoard husks for the boys. :D

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If the corn husk thing works I may have to try it. I've not tried these two hooligans with corn husks yet, but curiously these fellas aren't all that interested in fruit. They'll nibble watermelon for a moment or two but don't seem to care for it. They'll eat very small pieces of a variety of different fruits, but as far as fruit goes Pooper and Sly were absolutely crazy for anything sweet. Not these two.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I have frozen the corn husks before and they work great. I give them to Lacey while they are still frozen but since I tear them in strips they thaw fast. This year I have 3 gallons in the freezer. I don’t know anyone with sweetcorn so I go to the grocery stores and get bags of husks from the bins where customers husk the corn. I always have to explain when I get to the checkout, and that’s about the time my husband ditches me to avoid embarrassment. lol

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Watermelon is Lacey’s favorite. I taught her to go in a circle for treats and when she knows I have watermelon she starts spinning. She even knows when I give some to the dog and she starts wheeking and pacing. Pretty hilarious.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I also recently started freezing corn husks for my two girls and it works well. I usually go to Trader Joe and help myself to the corn compost bin. It was a little embarrassing at first but after awhile, some of the cashiers recognize me as the guinea pig lady. It turns out the store manager also has guinea pigs and she takes the husks too. However, the manager gives her piggies the outside husks also. I tried explaining that the outside husks contain pesticide but her response was guinea pigs live short lives anyway(as if they need to be exposed for decades). I didn't want to get into an argument with her (especially as there were other Trade Joe employees standing there listening to us) so suggested she do some more internet research on corn husks.

Even more than husks, my girls love the silk, which did not freeze well for me. My sister froze some husks and silks for me. When I took the silks out, they had a smell so I threw them all away. If anyone knows how to keep silk fresh for a long period of time, I would love to hear about it.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Corn silk is so delicate I don’t know how you could preserve it. And it contains a lot of moisture so drying probably wouldn’t work either.

The frozen watermelon has worked out well. The dog and guinea pig each get a cube in the morning. The texture is a little soft and at first Lacey wasn’t sure about it being frozen, but once she realized what it was, she was pretty happy. Piggy sized freezie pops!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.