Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Is hooting an emergency?

Kd116

Cavy Slave
Hello there,
My youngest pig Minnie made a very strange sound earlier. At first I would describe it as a monkey sound but after some research I understand it's called hooting.

She did this for about 30 seconds until I got worried and reached in to pick her up. She got scared and as she ran away she coughed...I suppose clearing her throat..and it stopped.

She has no other symptoms and was seen for her 6 month check up in July where they listened to her heart and lungs and got a clean bill of health.

Should I be worried? Also both the vets at my exotic vet are away this week at a conference...so if this is something she needs to be seen for is it safe to wait a week? Thank you!

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Absent of other symptoms hooting alone is not an emergency. You should be okay to wait until your exotic vets come back as long as there isn't any change in her condition in the meantime.

Hooting can be a symptom of fluid in/around the lungs or of heart issues. If the hooting continues I would be asking for x-rays to be done if a physical exam turns up nothing.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It can also be a sign of food temporarily blocking some part of the airway. If it occurs while or shortly after the pig is eating, and clears up when the pig coughs/sneezes/moves quickly, it's not likely to be anything serious.

Just keep watching and noting when you hear it -- that will give you major clues as to what it is.

Kd116

Cavy Slave
Thank you! She seems fine this morning but I will keep an eye on her and call my vet when she returns.

Kd116

Cavy Slave
It can also be a sign of food temporarily blocking some part of the airway. If it occurs while or shortly after the pig is eating, and clears up when the pig coughs/sneezes/moves quickly, it's not likely to be anything serious.

Just keep watching and noting when you hear it -- that will give you major clues as to what it is.

Thank you! I'll keep an eye on her this week and call my get when she returns. Could it be due to dusty hay? They were running out of hay the other day and I grabbed some at a grocery store instead of getting my usual oxbow Timothy hay but I've noticed it's quite dusty. I'll be going g to get oxbow stuff today

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, it can be caused by dusty hay.

Kd116

Cavy Slave
Yes, it can be caused by dusty hay.

Thanks I'm thinking that's what it is because I noticed Everytime I go in there and especially when I fill the hay my nose starts itching so if it's bothering me it's not hard to believe it would bother them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.