Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Guinea pig and rat housing question

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
Hello friends! Me and my partner have to go down to our hometown for a medical emergency. We are planning on leaving in a few hours (3 hour drive), and I have a question about housing my guinea pigs. My sister has two critter nation cages side-by-side for her six rats. I was thinking we could separate the cages so her rats could have the two upper levels and my boars could have the two lower levels. I'm just wondering if this is a good idea. Will they go crazy from smelling each other? Her rats are female, will this bother my boars somehow? The length of stay will be between 3-5 days. Any advice or input is appreciated. I'm thinking of something like this: DFN_006.JPG

Last edited:

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the advice @Kelsie !! The thought of Mycoplasma completely slipped my mind. Her rats are always sneezing and two of them are actually really sick at the moment so they're probably stressed enough as is. I just got off the phone with my sister and we're going to take the tops off both of the critter nations, combine them side-by-side, and place them in another room away from the rats. If I had more notice and time to prepare everything for the next few days, I would have gotten one of my neighbors to come in and take care of them, but this is super last minute and one of my boars needs special care. I'd be so stressed! Hopefully everything goes well : )

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
Too late to edit my post but my mom called and she insists on making a 3x4 CC for my piggies that will be ready by the time I get home. She's so sweet. I guess problem is solved lol.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.