Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance Power Struggle

JenniferTyler

Cavy Slave
Hello. My guinea pigs are currently seeming to have a struggle in who is the dominant pig. I think both of them are rumblestrutting, and they both seem to be trying to get on top of each other?s backs. I?ve taken one of them out for a separation time, and then they get depressed. What should I do?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Leave them together to sort it out. Unless they actually draw blood, separation only makes it more difficult and stresses them out.

How old are they? How long have they been together?

JenniferTyler

Cavy Slave
Leave them together to sort it out. Unless they actually draw blood, separation only makes it more difficult and stresses them out.

How old are they? How long have they been together?

They are turning eight months old very soon, and have been together for about four months now.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Are they males or females? Are you sure they're both the same?

Ditto [MENTION=35161]Guinea Pig Papa[/MENTION]. It's totally normal, and they'll have to work it out between them. Unless there's frank bleeding, let them be.

But do make sure that all hideys have at least two doors, and that the cage is large enough. Two females need at least 8-9 square feet, and males need 10-12. More is better in both cases.

JenniferTyler

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much. They are both females, and we are currently in the process of making a new cage and getting rid of a TV stand.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yep, they're in the throes of puberty. Do make sure they're both males or both females.

I have a pair of boys that are about to turn two years old. They rumble, climb on each others back, and basically wrestle off and on all day long. They've been together since birth, and other than the occasional irritated snap, have never hurt each other. They really are fun to watch when they get going.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.